UR28M - I'm just not getting it. Please help

I am having a huge mental block. It’s so frustrating. I cannot figure out what the 3 mixes are for with the UR28M and the real difference between independent mode and alternate mode, and on the dspMixFX what the “DAW” channel strip is for. What can I do with these features and options?
The user manual is horrible and very confusing. If someone could do a quick explanation of what I can do with these features it would be greatly appreciated

My system: Intel Core i9-9900 cpu; ROG Maximus XI Hero (wi-fi) motherboard; Thermaltake 850W power supply; 64GB RAM Corsair;
970 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD - 2 on the motherboard working as Raid 0; 1 Western Digital HD; 1 seagate ext HD; NZXT Kraken series Liquid cooler;
Windows 10; Cubase 10 Pro; UR28M Audio Interface, horrible sterling monitor speakers but they are ok.

Hi Toddean,
I’m new to a UR824 so I think we’re in a similar boat. I too am left having to ask many questions on FB to wrap my head around it. Truly, I’m new to interfaces so I think it’s just a learning curve.

You are correct, the user manuals are garbage. SB should put more effort in explanations and tutorials.

If I understand correctly, the dspMixFX is for bussing the reverb built into your interface. The ur (except the smaller ones mkii) series have built in compression and reverb. If you’re using Cubase Pro, then you can set up an FX buss and use those to utilize the built in effects. I may be wrong about this, but I believe you can apply the Rev-x reverb to a vst synth by using that bus. The same is true of the channel strip. Of course, the channel strip is ideal to use when recording live, apply compression to the incoming signal.

I’m trying to learn to use the hardware rev-x because it sounds better to me than the vst version. So I too am trying to free my mind :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for replying. I’ll try the things you mentioned. thank you again!

The UR28M is quite a different beast in comparison with it’s siblings in the UR family.
Let me direct you to an older posting I made. In fact if you search for UR28M and my Username BriHar, you might find a lot of helpful info regarding this device. 3 questions on UR28M routing that are stumping me ... - UR Series - Steinberg Forums