UR44 and USB 3.0 Will It Work?

**I’m researching USB interfaces, and I’m trying to determine if this unit will work with USB 3.0.

Some website chatter says the unit will only work with USB 2.0, but the newer 3.0 is supposed to be 100% backward compatible, isn’t it? :confused:

I am confident that my laptop has the necessary horsepower, but I’ll attach some of the system information below.

ANY information is greatly appreciated! I like (and would buy) the UR44 as long as it will work! :smiley:
Here’s a spec of my system:

HARDWARE:
2.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4700MQ
16310 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)
Chipset Manufacturer Intel
Chipset Model HM86 Express

DISPLAY:

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 [Display adapter]
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M [Display adapter]

USB:

Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller 1.0 (Microsoft)

I will post overall model specs too:
http://www.pcworld.com/product/1425886/toshiba-qosmio-x75-a7170-notebook.html
:nerd:

Mine works plugged into the USB3 port on my pc just fine.

It can vary though with chipset and drivers. I have another USB2 device that will not work plugged into the PC USB3 but is perfectly fine working in a USB2 port on a combo USB2+USB3 Hub that I own that plugs into USB3 on the PC.

Chances are you’ll be fine, and if not try the hub trick.

Mine works plugged into the USB3 port on my pc just fine.

It can vary though with chipset and drivers. I have another USB2 device that will not work plugged into the PC USB3 but is perfectly fine working in a USB2 port on a combo USB2+USB3 Hub that I own that plugs into USB3 on the PC.

Chances are you’ll be fine, and if not try the hub trick.

Thank you for responding. My guess is that using a USB 2.0 cable will be the key to success, otherwise the hub sounds like it would work too.

Much obliged!! :slight_smile:

It will (should!) be 100% backward compatible. USB is designed to fall back to older standards depending on what’s plugged in. Although interestingly some USB 2 devices perform better on USB 3 interfaces, perhaps the new drivers/interfaces are clever enough to ramp the speed up until error correction becomes an issue then back off a bit?

I discovered a while ago that Steinberg audio interfaces do not work plugged into a USB 3.0 port: I tried a couple of year ago with a computer that had both 3.0 and 2.0 ports. It took a while to discover the Steinberg driver only works with 3.0 ports. Today, I setup a new Dell XPS15 laptop that only has two 3.0 ports and a new USB C. My UR44 does not work plugged directly into a 3.0 port. Fortunately, I had an inexpensive Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub ($7.00 on Amazon) connected to a nearby tower workstation. So I tried plugging the hub to the 3.0 port and the UR44 into the hub. It works!