UR44 Bypass zero latency monitoring?

I’m new to the UR44. I’m trying to use it with Reaper, and listening through my headphones plugged into the UR44.

It seems like there is no way to get a signal to my DAW, without the headphone mix being infected with the raw, unprocessed output of the guitar I have in input 1. I want to turn the headphone output from dspMixFx off, so I only hear what is going through and coming out of Reaper.

Even without Reaper running, I get this audio infection.

I’d appreciate any help.

Can’t you just open the DSP mixer and turn down that channel…or does that also affect the signal to DAW??

It affects the signal to the DAW. Reading the manual, you’re supposed to be able to turn off the ZL monitoring by clicking the headphone icon on the mixer, but I think the mixer is buggy on 64 bit and it doesn’t work. Or hasn’t.

I’m new with both the Reaper DAW and the UR44. There may be a way to assign channels from the UR44 around the mixer. I don’t know what to do about the headphone monitoring. I only realized it was a problem, when I was trying to lay guitar tracks using effects on the DAW.

The workflow I wanted to do was record a channel clean, and send it to another channel on the DAW so I could hear my playing with the effects, but still have the option to change the effects later. I’m taking advantage of the low latency possible with the UR44 at 48kHz.

Can anyone confirm that clicking the headphone icon should turn off ZL monitoring?

I am having the same exact problem, using Reaper also. Cubase AI allows you to bypass the hardware monitor, but that is it. If this truly the case, I am returning the unit tomorrow. It is ridiculous that I have to spend $400 on the full edition of Cubase so that I can use more than four VSTs while also disabling zero latency monitoring.

I don’t have the UR22 but have the UR28M.

I just tested in Reaper and all I had to do was open the dsp mixer and turn down the fader or mute the channel with the dsp mixer.
The signal still passed to Reaper

I find it hard to imagine that the UR22 would work any differently if you use the dsp mixer.

Not familiar with either Reaper or UR44 but the driver should be similar to my UR824 one…now if you open the driver window in Reaper somewhere make sure the “Direct monitoring” is disabled (un-checked) if you say you want to record your guitar with plugins in Reaper. In Cubase when you have that option checked no more plugins from the DAW and when un-checked no more “raw” sound from the interface…since this is not Cubase I guess you can have both “on”…just my 0.02 CAD (adjusted for inflation).

The problem wasn’t that I couldn’t get direct monitoring. It was that I would hear both the monitoring of the DAW and direct monitoring of the input signal in the headphone mix. Only turning down the sliders on dspMixFx except the right two, got rid of the problem. In retrospect, now that I know what it’s supposed to do, it seems obvious. At the time, not so obvious.

Bit confused how you got from this:

Can’t you just open the DSP mixer and turn down that channel…or does that also affect the signal to DAW??

It affects the signal to the DAW

To this:

Only turning down the sliders on dspMixFx except the right two, got rid of the problem

But great that you got there!!

Yeah, definite confusion. This is what the UR44 manual says, concerning all DAWs, other than Cubase.

Programs Other Than Cubase Series
1. > Launch your DAW software.
2. > Open dspMixFx UR44. For instructions on how to open dspMixFx UR44, refer to the section “How to Open the Window”
(page 10)
3. > Adjust the input signal level of the microphone with the [INPUT GAIN] knob on the device. To achieve optimum recording levels, increase the input level with the [INPUT GAIN] knob until the [PEAK] indicator lights in red, then slowly bring the level down until the indicato r lights slightly when the input level is maximum.
4. > Adjust the output signal level of the headphone with the [PHONES] knob on the device.
5. > Set the Channel Strip settings and REV-X settings on dspMixFx UR44.
6. > Start recording on your DAW software.
7. After finishing recording, stop it.
8. > Playback the newly recorded sound to check it. For more detailed instruct ions on using the DAW software, refer to your particular.

You can see where this gets confusing. The area of the manual that explains the input fader, says the fader “Adjusts the input level (for the channel)”. It needs a paragraph explaining that when recording and monitoring in a DAW, the input channels should be faded down if you don’t want to hear the direct input while monitoring. Faded up if you want the headphone output with zero latency for voice talent.

There’s just a missing conceptual link there, because the manual seems to be directed only toward Cubase users. As if non-Cubase users found this device by accident. As if there would be only the tiniest number of exemptions from the UR44-Cubase standard. You get a free Cubase AI, why are you using this incredible AD interface with anything else? That could be coupled with If you have other DAW software, we assume you’ve been using it for awhile.

If you’re building a system and starting with a new DAW you’re unfamiliar with, at the same time you install the AD Interface, that’s where the manual has a problem. It doesn’t need to explain every DAW, just a paragraph with three sentences or so, that just close some conceptual gaps.

I’m using the UR44 with Logic. To hear only the DAW, and not the direct input channel monitor from the dspMixFX, I clicked the SOLO button on the DAW control strip in dspMixFX. This way all audio being monitored is from the DAW output only, no incoming channels. All incoming channels will still be recorded.

Anyone have any idea how to reduce the damn latency from the UR44? I’ve never had an issue on my system with other interfaces.

Anyone have any idea how to reduce the damn latency from the UR44? I’ve never had an issue on my system with other interfaces.

Like any other interface, you would open the control panel and reduce the latency by reducing the latency/buffer setting!

As that seems too obvious an answer to be what you’re looking for. you’ll maybe have to explain better what your problem is.