UR44 - outboard effects routing

I just found out that I should mute ANLG 5 and 6 (or whichever inputs are used) of Mix 2 in dspMixFx. Confusing, but at least it works. I can now send a signal out and back in without feedback.

I’m using Pro Tools 12.2 with the UR44 on a windows box (8.1)

Been playing around with this problem for hours. The only thing I seem to think that will work as a work-around is to utililze the fadars etc in dspMixFx app while recording.

After hours & hours of different setups, i/o’s, etc… I found that when using any kind of low latency monitoring, or the settings used within “playback engine” area in pro tools, to reduce latency between the ur44 and the software; you lose fader and sound within the software.

Using any output channels, its the same. I currently use the headphones 2 jack as my main monitors, but it doesn’t matter which you use. The latency for track recording is too substantial to record, so in my setup I must use latency tools, which disables output thru the mix & renders faders within software useless, and therefore during isolated recordings (record 1 track, against/while listening to playback of other tracks or click track , YOU MUST use the dspMixFx app to adjust your recording track volume, while using your software (in my case Pro Tools) to adjust what you are recording against/with.

I hope this helps some people

I’ve been using Pro Tools (6.4) since the digi001 came out 13-14 years ago, and I recently upgraded for several advantages ofc. (get rid of my WINXP box #1 reason! j/k sorta)

The UR44 is new to me, but I’m happy thus far (30 hrs pretty much non-stop since I brought it home…very little sleep!!), and can work around this limitation/latency, which I would guess is less prevalent in Cubase.

Problem solved

This forum should be marked as “solved” since it have already a solution.
All you have to do to route external effects is to MUTE or lower the fader level from MIX 2 in the dspMixFx console software. That way you don’t have the feedback. For the reverb thing just lower the reverb button.
You just have to read the manual before complaining.

On other forums like Gearslut, the UR44 is labeled as “incapable of handling external effects” which is false.

1 Like

I figured out how to do this on UR22 which only has 2 inputs and 2 outputs so it should be possible for UR44 owners…

This is assuming monitoring what’s going on with headphones, and using pro tools (although the principles will apply to any DAW).

To test this I simply patched a lead from output 1 at the rear of the interface into input 1 at the front of the interface. I sent a recorded vocal WAV out/in.

1/ On the mono audio track with the waveform you want to send out: set no input, no output, and create a send to line output 1(the rear jack)
2/ For the return track: set input to interface input 1, and output to a bus you are not using so you will never hear it (for now)
3/ You can play around with the monitor knob and gain knob levels on the interface to minimise recorded hiss - see what gets you the best results.
(For example if you have the gain knob on the interface set to 0 on the input channel, have the monitor level on the interface set to max, you will have to increase the gain significantly on the clip after recording which will reveal significant levels of hiss. Although this can easily be removed in my vocal example, hiss may affect distortion pedals etc weirdly in the guitar example)
4/Latency level doesn’t matter although obviously the lower the better for alignment.

If you do not follow the instructions to the letter you may get it to work but with the ‘reverb-sounding’ issue which I had too (initially thinking it was a latency thing but re-testing with the above settings and a higher latency and realising it was not).

I would suggest setting up a new/separate session for the purposes of getting this task done to keep it simple and then importing your affected recording back into your main session.

Once you have recorded you can carefully revise your inputs and outputs to your liking to hear what you have recorded. In Pro Tools I can use clip gain to increase the amplitube of the looped back recording, or the trim plugin or whatever.

AT ALL TIMES BE CAREFUL OF FEEDBACK!

There is a bug, still in the current version of DspMixFX or the firmware.
Often DspMixFX will recognise the UR44 is connected and show the faders etc,
and your DAW will function,
but DspMixFX will not properly follow/control what is happening in hardware.

I was having the same problem - DI track set to line out 3, other tracks set to main outs.
Everything in DspMixFX muted and faders down, except DAW and Master in Mix1 and Mix2.
DAW Main mix set to output to UR44 Mix1L+R only.
DI track set to UR44 Mix2L (and thus Lineout 3)
Try to reamp - squeal.

Listening to Lineout 3 with headphones - it was not silent with nothing playing, all inputs dead/muted and DAW closed.
I could hear the hiss of an unmuted channel of some sort.
(Lineout 1/2 are dead silent through headphones when nothing playing).
Something was still making it through to Mix2.
insert confused face :confused: - this doesn’t correspond to what I’ve set up.
Playing around with other tracks in the daw while listening to lineout3 with headphones, I determined I could still hear the main mix (set to Mix1 L+R in my DAW) coming through.

I noticed the the phantom power indicator in DspMixFX was off, despite it being on in hardware (switch on the UR44).

After unplugging the UR44 a few times and closing/reopening DspMixFX it regained control/sync with the hardware and suddenly feedback was gone and reamping worked as expected.
And at this time the Phantom power indicators in DspMixFX also came on, matching the hardware.

The guy above is not confused. On at least some systems some of the time, the UR44/software is not behaving. There is a bug here.
But, once you get it set up and kick it a few times it works and you don’t have to touch DspMixFX.

Over to you steinberg to acknowledge.

For anyone who wants to know exactly what to set in DspMixFX:
All Inputs muted in Mix1 and Mix2 (this is “No direct monitoring”)
DAW and Master UNmuted in Mix1 and Mix2
All Faders at 0dB

Rev-X send on in Mix1 so it is off in Mix2 (doesnt matter too much, just being complete)
Rev-X reverb TIME and RTN all the way down.

Set headphone 2 on in Mix2. You should be able to hear the DI track nicely by itself thru Phones2 output, while the rest of the mix plays through your monitors (Main Outs).
When you stop playback, you should hear silence, not tape hiss. If you hear tape hiss - yank the usb cable and restart DspMixFX repeatedly until it does what its told and then leave it alone.

just mute the input in ‘MIX 2’

For me this worked after giving up months ago and finally working it out tonight. I am so happy I worked it out.

1. Create external FX bus
    sends: Mix 2 L, Mix 2 R (for stereo pedal)
    returns: Input 3. 4 or 5,6
    from my personal experience inputs 3,4 have a more powerful preamp, but I am not 100% sure about this

2. Create Fx Channel track of your FX pedal

3. In audio track mute channel (only works for audio NOT midi), change output to extrernal fx, finally add external fx in sends of track

4. Experiment with pre/post fader of FX sends in channel, the external FX gain settings in the FX track inserts and also with levels of input channels in UR44. Try out what sounds best.

5. make sure the FX channel track is not muted or

You are welcome!