ur44 output line 3/4 wont work

I bought the ur44 and i am already stuck with a simple thing which i cant get going.
i connected the main output and line3/4 output with two pairs of active speakers and played some audio files with windows media player.
The audio signal is coming only through the main output and the headphones, but not through line3/4.
As i understood, the signal going to line3/4 output can be mixed in MIX2, but in MIX2 the daw strip shows no incoming signal, in MIX1 everything is fine.
Is it me, or is it the UR44?
I need to resolve that fast, because i still can get the UR44 back to the shop if it wont work.

Have you read the manual?

I presume you haven’t set up your VST connections…F4

Of if you’re using a cut down version on Cubase like Ai it’s possible that the DAW outs are defaulted or fixed to 1 and 2. The regular Cubase you can use the VST connections and control room to send out anything you want.

MC

Thanks for replying.
first i tried the audio wiothout cubase, i just played a mp3 in a media player. It seems that line out 3 /4 are only available together with cubase. ( well they could tell the buyers, couldnt they?)
But in Cubase itself, it wont go to line 3/4 either, cubase connections shows 3 busses: mix1,mix2, and the fx bus.
again, no signal. in the cubase mixing console it wont work either:
I set my audio signal in destinations to mix 2, i open the mix 2 strip edit menu, which shows no input. In mix 2 its not possible to set a designation…
so far so bad, anyone canhelp me out?

Hi Peter,

With WDM drivers it is only possible to playback a stereo signal and you can choose the outputs you like to use in the control panel of the dspMixFx application.

But the UR44 comes with dedicated ASIO drivers to work with professional audio applications.

Regarding Cubase I can’t reproduce the problem you are describing.

I have tested the setup with the included Cubase AI. I can choose the differerent Mix outputs and I get a signal from the outputs accordingly.

Have you just had a look at the metering or have you checked if you get a signal from the physical outputs?

Best regards,
Stefan Schreiber

Hi stephan, Sure i didnt only checked the meters but i plugged two active speakers in line 3/4 to be sure.
By the way, the missing Line3/4 was not the only issue, here more detailed whats happened.
(For the ones who think all that is my fault: Im not a tech user, but also not a complete moron. As a matter of fact, i know cubase since the atari times. Sure i read the manual. Sure i opened a bus in VST Connections and checked the in/out routings. Sure i installed the e-licencer.)

I tested first the UR44 as a standalone, because i want also use a sound card for the simple task of listening to an mp3 played by a media player.
Comes out Line 3 and 4 wouldnt send a signal to my boxes, which is important to me, because i have two pairs of speakers, and i need sometimes to switch off one of them.
If line 3/4/ doesnt work as a standalone, you should state this clearly in the manual!
So i tried it in Cubase AI the manual reads, that line 3/4 signal has to get a signal from MIX2
Guess what: If i route get a signal to MIX2, no signal gets out of line3/4 either.
I cant use the DSP mixer when cubase AI is running. OK. But the mixer inside Cubase AI is cryptic, to say the least.
couldnt get to the point to make inside cubase two different monitor mixes. this is really a thing i couldnt understand. I could send to MIX1, MIX2, but i couldnt see any possibility to make the monitormixes 1 and 2 inside the cubase mixer. OK, maybe i didnt look good, but i am not looking for a produkt who is so complicated that a semi-educated person like me cant handle it.
Next issue was also a simple task: Recording a existing midi track audio with a real soundmodule. soundmodule goes in line 5/6 audio track is connected to those line ins- no signal. I checked the devive menu and vst connections, and after two hours i gave up.
I tried to record the audio with a “jazz band” template of cubase AI . This is a template project where you have built in piano, guitar, et c. I loaded the midifile here, added a audio channel, and- nothing. Cant record audio from midi.
My Retailer told me to download an update which is called V2 tools- comes out that this update is not compatible with my brand new intel processor! at least, this is what reads the statement when i tried to install V2 tools.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your detailed description of the issues you are facing.

First I would kindly ask you to give us further information about your computer system:

• Operating System
  • Processor
  • Ram
  • Graphics
  • etc.

Next I’d like to start helping you out regarding the described issues step by step.

First I’d like to address the following:

Next issue was also a simple task: Recording a existing midi track audio with a real soundmodule. soundmodule goes in line 5/6 audio track is connected to those line ins- no signal. I checked the devive menu and vst connections, and after two hours i gave up.
I tried to record the audio with a “jazz band” template of cubase AI . This is a template project where you have built in piano, guitar, et c. I loaded the midifile here, added a audio channel, and- nothing. Cant record audio from midi.

I’d kindly ask you to do the following steps:

• Create an empty project in Cubase AI
  • Set up all the necessary VST connections (create six inputs, connected to the UR44 inputs 1-6 accordingly)
  • Create a stereo audio track and choose inout 5 and 6 of the UR44 as input busses
  • Create a MIDI Track and select Steinberg UR44 Port 1 as MIDI output, set the right MIDI channel for your sound module
  • Connect the MIDI output of the UR44 to the MIDI input of your sound module
  • Connect the audio outputs of your soundmodule to the Line inputs 5/6 of the UR44 and make sure to turn the output volume of your sound module up
  • Enable record on the Audio Track in Cubase
  • Import your MIDI file to the MIDI track in Cubase

If you now start the recording in Cubase the audio coming from your sound module should be recorded on the audio track in Cubase. I’ve just done exactly the same setup here with a Motif-Rack XS and it works perfect.

If you are OK, I’d like to address the other issues later.

Best regards,
Stefan Schreiber

Are you referring to the TOOLS for UR44 V2.0.0? Can you please let us know the exact wording of the error message? And as requested by Stefan, please give some details on your DAW configuration.

Peter, I just saw that you also sent mails to the support and I suggest to continue there instead of having different support team members working on the same inquiry.
We’ll answer your latest email today. Thanks!

Dear Ed doll and Stefan Schreiber of Steinberg,
If Cubase tech support would have been answering me within, say, three days, i wouldnt have been posting on this forum in the first place.
But th truth is, that Steinberg wants that other steinberg users do the work of Steinberg tech support:
After more than a week, tech support send me a message asking me to open vst connections, etc, etc- things that i already did.
Thanks for nothing.
Should i have been writing back “i did that already” and wait again a week for an answer? Or pay 80 cts per minute for a support telephone line as a registered customer? Sorry, thats not how it works, because i had only limited time to either resolve the problem or return the item to the dealer, and furthermore there are projects waiting for me to be worked on.
I waited now long enough to get any help from you, the item goes back to the dealer, and you can count on that i will post this story on music forums.
Dear Steinberg, if you think you can sell without giving good support, you loose customers, and thats the end of the story.
And what’s more: dont sell the UR 44 without stating clearly that as a standalone it only produces stereo out, and the additional Line out3/4 are not working.

We cannot offer support if we haven’t checked these basic settings and requirements first of all. If this information had been included in the initial email, we wouldn’t have asked for it, of course.
And using all other channels at the same time (Facebook, external forums etc.) doesn’t help us improving our response times.

I am sorry that our response was delayed but as you have returned the product, I hope you don’t mind that all involved Steinberg employees now focus on other support inquiries again. I really hope that you find an interface that meets your demands!

Dear Ed doll,
regarding your last mail:
In the meantime i bought a presonus 44vsl.
I had some installation troubles , and my dealer could hook me up with somebody from presonus three days after i had told him my issues.
The guy called me, we went together with team viewer through the installation process, and after 15 minutes everything was well.
This is support how its meant to be.
If I compare it with the enormous amount of time ( writing posts in order that someone would help me, filling in online forms) i invested to get the ur44 working… i draw my conclusions.