UR44 PLEASE HELP...!!!

PS:Rob - FYI (and anyone else who didn’t know)

Just had it confirmed by Sweetwater Engineer that it’s not usual for Interfaces to have a ‘balance knob’…! Apparently, “The UR22 is a rare exception with a knob to control balance between vocal input and DAW.”
Apparently, it’s normal for an Engineer to link the DAW, or music tracks, and pull them down if one can’t hear the vocal.
I’ll have to accept that and revert to using my UR22, as the UR44 is an expensive tool to have only extra inputs and less control. I’ll first re-check to see/hear if I, now, have a Latency issue with UR22. If so, then I guess i’ll sell it, instead.
Cheers,
John

The program dspMixFx exists for use cases where Cubase is not being used. The reason for that is that all the functions of dspMixFx are integrated into Cubase, but are not integrated into other daws. The UR44 provides reverb and compression on the input bus inside the box, has two output mixes, has two headphone outputs that can be separately routed. and more that differentiates it from the UR22.

I use my UR44 daily and it does everything as documented. I use it with Cubase, and occasionally with Audacity, the famously free basic audio recorder. When I use it with Audacity I use dspMixFx to access the features of the device. I can say that everything works.

Hi Steve, Thanks for posting but two issues make it indefinite regarding what UR44 does do. 1) You are using Cubase Pro, I am not, so I don’t have a Control room as robw referred to (ABOVE). 2) We are prevented from opening the UR44 software mixer at the same time because Cubase is using the same USB.
I assume you’re saying that integration w/Cubase, somehow, means they’ve transferred the mixer/controls and 2 Phones presets (Mix1 and Mix2) to Cubase. There is no Monitor connection in Audio Connections but…
… I have gained only two mixers in my Audio Connections drop down menus. ‘UR44 Mix1 and UR44 FX Buss’. They appear as Stereo OUTs (the fader knob is red). By (UR44) default, these two appear in my project and my tracks are sent out to the ‘UR44 Mix1’ as a Stereo Out (like a Master Bus.

I’ve re-read manuals, forums and even had a Remote Assist and I feel I know this product better than the Steinberg Tech guys I spoke to…lol. I am well aware of what I have with this UR44 in terms of the 'features. The problem appears to be that nowhere can I find how it’s supposed to be set up, or work. I’ve seen a tutorial where the Cubase guy is using a 16 channel Lynx Audio Interface and he can bring up the software controls/mixer whilst in Cubase… Just as, I’m sure, anyone using the UR44, but NOT with Cubase, can…???

John, I remember you from before- you appear to not read all the way through the posts where people are trying to help you.

1. You do not need the control room nor the dspMixFx software,
  2. Cubase Artist has the same functions in regard to the UR44 as Cubase Pro
  3. I refer you to my post above: UR44 PLEASE HELP...!!! - #16 by steve - UR Series - Steinberg Forums Read it, and open the images.

I offer paid Cubase coaching, and as we previously discussed you can avail yourself of it if you like. PM me. Good luck to you.

Steve, I have watched and read everything but the problem is understanding terminologies and HOW. Your GIFs only showed checking the Dir Mon box and moving the Reverb FX send. I believe I do understand how the UR44 should work but I have yet to understand the bussing/routing and which channels (names?) I have to use to enable proper use of the UR44.
I am absorbing a lot of info that leads to many failure options. Meaning it’s even more difficult to go down yet another ‘route’ and forget some of what I’ve ‘learned’. So, I started again with Template, which I wrongly expected to be set up and ready to record a vocal.
I’ve even looked at the wiring diagrams but that doesn’t clear things, just adds more confusion. I have yet to see either a layout drawing, pictures, or a simple step by step list and what to look for.

Ignoring MIX 2 (monitor) for now:
As I, now, understand it; The Mix 1 Channel (Stereo out) is also MIX 1 Monitor channel(?) It should also be monitoring (directly) the vocal signal going into the Input 1 (mic) of the UR44. (Not the Mono 1 [“UR44 in-1”] in the DAW) (?)
I have tried using a Group channel for the DAW music but I still cannot hear the direct vocal signal - although I can record it.

I won’t mention anything else but focus on asking:
How to I route/send etc the signal path directly from the UR44 to a Monitor channel; and how do I mix these to blend what I hear when recording vocal? (I am confused because the existing Templates set up don’t work for me. And, because they appear to have been renamed, I cannot identify what is supposed go where etc.
I now have 2 (red) Stereo Out(?) channels showing in the Template. One is named “UR44 Mix 1” and the other is “UR44 FX Bus”.
I am able to add Busses/channels (that are available), like Stereo Outs but they do nothing.

PS: I repeat that the Steinberg Techies said the UR44 does not work as I am being told!

PPS. As I am hoping to directly monitor the recording vocal IN signal, should I be ignoring, or resetting the Audio vocal track in the DAW?
Are some Routings/busses hidden (in the background) that are working?

To Directly Monitor Vocal in signal with the UR44 just click the little speaker icon on the track you are trying to record. The UR44 support Direct Monitoring.
You can check Direct Monitoring is on in the ASIO Driver Setup Page (pg 15 of the Cubase Artist/Pro 10 manual).
The screenshot in the manual shows Direct Monitoring as off, you want to TICK that box.
Pg 268-271 Show where to find the little speak icon for MONITOR, and also explains the 3 different types of monitoring available.
Of these only two matter in your case:

1. Monitoring via Cubase (without ASIO Direct Monitoring enabled) - You hear exactly what Cubase produces on that channel you monitor, complete with all the latency from the plugins. This is NOT what you want.
  2. ASIO Direct Monitoring - With this ticked in the ASIO Driver setup Cubase and the UR44 cooperate. For the track you are monitoring the UR44 will do all the processing and Cubase will do none. The you hear what the UR44 is producing, including any UR44 enabled hardware fx and channel strip. No latency is cause by the UR44 hardware FX. This is what you want. For all the other tracks playing Cubase will do its usual thing and will automatically do the delay compensation to ensure everything syncs up like it should.

ASIO Direct Monitoring is far superior to your old UR22s mix knob.

Watch this as well - the ASIO Direct Monitoring check box in use and the HW FX in use with the monitoring button turned on.

OK, got it to work using a Group track (Music) and Aux track to be able to hear vocal recording in H/phone1 and in Mix1(Stereo Out); and HP2 in Mix2 where I match/blend the Group/music level fader with the vocal, while recording it.

Thanks, Rob. I’ve already watched this video. Unfortunately, it doesn’t deal with audio/vocal recording and how to set up headphone 1 and 2, or how to Route, Send etc, or where to…?? Surely, that has to come first, before FX and this guy only talks about FX.
We’ve figured out most of it and I have just recorded a vocal. Just gotta figure how to let Tracy hear it in H/phone1/Stereo Out. Main thing is, that I can hear my vocal when recording it. (I opened an Aux track to hear vocals) I can then mix in the Group Track I’ve opened, with the Music/backing being Routed to it… all in H/phone 2.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

If you want some vocal reverb or eq during recording vocals you can add these using DSP FX so they are realtime. Use the In channel in the mixer (not the audio track, the input track). Then find the hardware tab in the mixer. You can use that interface per the instructions in the UR44 manual to add reverb etc, but still send the dry signal to Cubase for recording.

Here’s a nicer video