UR44 PLEASE HELP...!!!

I excitedly bought my partner a UR44 for Christmas to replace his UR22 interface he has used for the past 5 years without issue. And sadly we have spent 4 long frustrating days trying to get it working properly. I feel terrible his Christmas present has not been a happy one so far…

His set up is mac mini fully updated cubase artist 9.5 fully updated UR44 newest drivers, tools, firmware ect… installed and a MOXF8 again newest updates done.

We are able to record the internal VST instruments no problem, record audio vocals no problem. the issue in recording midi from the MOXF8 we have a midi signal and can record midi data on the track. The problem is we are getting no sound from the MOXF tone generator when recording midi.
We have tried all suggestions on the forums we have gone step by step through the manuals for all the involved products and software. Is there a step by step solution what are we missing…?

What about routing? How is the sound from the synth returning to the UR44?

I agree, tt’s almost certainly routing given you have both midi and vocal audio working. It will likely be a “facepalm” moment when the problem is fixed (we’ve all been there!). It would be best to attach some screenshots of what you have setup in Cubase for the UR44 interface so some fresh eyes can verify what you think Is happening is what Cubase is doing.

I use an external instrument set up for Kronos, and did the same with my former Motif XS 8 which is a lot like your MOXF8. I set it up with the Keyboad’s main outs going to input 5 and 6 on the rear of the UR44. Then Cubase has inputs 5+6 as a stereo pair for the external instrument. After that I use it like a standard VST instrument.

Note that the UR44 front panel input 3+4 could also be used (but not 1+2 they are used for Hi Z guitar inputs). They are all of course capable of being Microphone inputs with the XLR jacks.

Send some more information, we’ll get this sorted

I wish i know how to setup MIDI for the UR44

Can you see the UR44 MIDI in and Out in Cubase Studio Setup?
MIDI Port Setup

I am connected by USB MOXF to computer and MOXF to UR44 input 3/4 to use my monitors. Here are my settings.
IMG_4288.JPG

Wrong settings, it’s the Audio Connections window we need here.

Here are the Audio Settings.
IMG_4292.JPG
IMG_4291.JPG

I’m John, the recipient of Tracy’s UR44 present:
I called this in to Steinberg and 1) I was told that MIDI needs an Audio track to be heard. 2) MOXFX8 Port 1 appeared in the Output routing slot, which I chose. When I added the Audio track and hi-lighted Monitor, I heard the MIDI track! YEA…(I have not seen this [important?] info before…
BUT, when I tried to play it again… NOTHING!

I am now back to 1) No sound from the MOX (With Local Control on, or off).
2) I do see the signal registering in the MIDI track, which ‘recorded’ OK but,
3) it won’t play back, even with the Audio track Monitor on/off.
4) When I try playing into the Audio track I can hear/record the MOX with Local Control ON

I have just re-downloaded the latest Cubase Artist 9.5 update - no joy. I was concerned that the Audio track addition worked briefly but quit, so I thought Cubase may be at fault.
I had no issues with my UR22 and we checked to see if the MOX ASIO/driver worked, (only using the audio inputs on the UR44). I recorded 3 simultaneous MIDI tracks OK.

• Ports 1, for both MOX and UR44, show Active for INs and OUTs.
  • I am using “Yamaha MOX… Port1” as my MIDI OUTput Routing.
    All midi IN; to ANY channel.
    I have no idea how a MIDI track routes to the necessary(?) Audio Track to be heard, as I have never needed to do that in the past; even as recent as my last song a few days before Xmas(?).

Do I need to Uninstall/re-install Cubase? I have done that with all the drivers and TOOLS for UR44.
The issue seems to be that it worked then quit, or broke the route/connection. I checked the Ports and Audio Connections etc and nothing had changed. (Cubase did crash a couple of times when I was simply trying to reconfigure routings; with only 2 tracks loaded)

It doesn’t help that a) The instructions leave out some details and are out of date. I keep seeing (and being told to go to) DEVICES → VST devices… THERE ARE NO DEVICES, nor VST Connections. So, naming is inconsistent and confusing which in turn creates many differing tutorials and instructions/manuals.
Thank you for any help that will solve this disappointing dilemma.

So do exactly that again. Something changed between when it worked and when it didn’t. Sounds like it’s working.

BTW You are not routing midi to an audio track. You’re just plugging the keyboard audio outputs into the UR44. Same as if you were plugging in some other unrelated device like a CD player. You might be asking the wrong question. Instead of asking how to get the keyboard to play through, ask how to get any device to play through.

As of Cubase 9.5, Devices is now termed Studio and VST connections now termed Audio Connections.

I have repeatedly tried to “do exactly that again” and so have the (so called) tech guys at Steinberg, who both failed to solve this by Remote Assist.
I now realise that the UR44 isn’t midi but is only providing audio whilst playing/recording midi.
I also know (NOW) the revised terms, like Devices. My point is that Steinberg Techs don’t and we should be told at the beginning, not after muddling through misleading and ambiguous info.
After waiting 3 hours for an agreed Remote assist call, I had to call them only to be told that it was a Yamaha MOX issue. This was after a lot guesswork (which I’ve been doing throughout Xmas) by the two Techs: even making MOX the interface!! Then, when I stopped him hanging up on me, one of them opened up the MOX Editor (which I do NOT want to use) and tried to get sound from new midi tracks. He left me promising to get a Yamaha tech to call me to do a Remote Assist. (I won’t hold me breath…lol).
I am now attempting to try the 6 “Quick Set Ups” in my MOX.
The only good news about all this is that I’ve been forced to read all the manuals and almost know all the settings by heart.
I’ve re-downloaded all the drivers.
Re-updated my Cubase.
Rebooted my Mac mini
Triple checked all my settings.
If I ever DO get a call and Remote Assist, I cannot imagine what they’ll do to fix this silence. (-:

Just a quick note to save anyone from more analysis. Once again, it was about misnaming and misleading terminology. IMHO, Steinberg need to christen things and say so upfront and, if they feel it’s necessary to change any terms/descriptions, SAY so and also update their wording.
‘Devices’ was a good example but a better one is the one that has caused me to work through Christmas.
The misnomer is the word TRACK!!
Thanks to Yamaha’s explanations I found that in order to hear midi you need to send each, and every, midi signal back through “TRACK 3” to play the tone generator in MOX. They should have used the correct description, which is “CHANNEL 3” It should NOT take someone 8 days to discover what should be made obvious!!!
It’s now working fine, no thanks to Steinberg, nor Yamaha. Thanks, Steve, for trying and I hope this helps you and others, too.

I’m Back… I overcame the above issues but now need a mix between the DAW for Headphone 2 for the Vocalist.DAW is Cubase Artist 9.5 on Mac Mini I have several existing projects (not using the UR44 Templates) I need to have the Mix Control slider in these projects. How do you access this UR44 Mixing Board without using the UR44 Templates. All I need is to control the DAW level for vocal recording.

Hello, it’s me, John, again.I’ve spent more days trying to find someone who knows the UR44 and how to use it in Cubase. (I had to revisit the manual to check a ‘casual’ sentence (again) that says the UR44 DSP mixer is usable with any DAW “OTHER than Cubase.” It does not say how you set up, use, and configure the tracks/setting/sends etc to enable control of the Vocal recording level and the DAW music backing tracks level.

My UR22 had a simple ‘balance adjust knob’, so I was able to adjust/hear my vocal going in, whilst adjusting/listening to my music tracks. I had no latency issues. I am now into my 6th week of not being able to get the UR44 to function simply.
I am amazed at the pathetic Yamaha/Steinberg instruction and lack of info/support.
I would’ve thought that, after years of existence of the UR44, the MAIN (pro) function would have been addressed. That is simply recording a vocal to existing music tracks in Cubase. (Something that EVERY user surely does?)
I have run out of patience with (non=Steinberg) tutorials and manuals, NONE of which address this. Why haven’t Steinberg?
I have gotten to the stage where it appears I need to set up additional GRP, FX, Busses, Hardware tracks etc in order to control the UR44 from within Cubase to simply hear myself when recording vocals.(???) I am not the best at technical issues regarding recording but I am good at my English and learning. Does anyone know where I can find a simple Overview of how to set up and use this over complicated way of monitoring. If the answer is to slow down my workflow, instead of tweaking a “Balance knob” as in the UR22, then I guess I’ll have to sell the UR44, as it’s too late to send it back.
Please, can someone…, anyone… help, or direct me to some sensible, logical straight forward answers.
Thanks. John

If you have one question that needs one answer we can start with that. I’m sorry, I can’t make out what you need to know from your post.

Sorry, Steve. Too many related issues. So, let me focus on what I think I know. One question is difficult, so I’ll list the minimum related ones.

1. Is the UR44 hardware control box unrelated/no use when using Cubase? (So, “Scenes” and MIX1 and MIX2 are only used with other DAWS?)
  2. If it boils down to directly monitoring my Audio/vocal (MONITOR track?), then how, and what tracks do I need to use/route?
    (The templates that appear in my hub help a little but the renamed channels/tracks are confusing. eg There is no Stereo Out)

Honestly, I can’t make out what you’re asking, but I can deduce that you’re missing some of the basic info about how to use the device, so–

If you are using Cubase, the full controls for the UR44 can be accessed via the Hardware tab in the mixer, on the input channels.
see:https://i.imgur.com/Evz6ltw.gif

You also must turn on Direct monitoring in Studio Setup.
see: http://imgur.com/bN3xEbY.gif

I’m away from my DAW (by roughly half a planet of distance) but I will guess a little at the questions and suggest a setup based on how I use my UR44 with Cubase. Unfortunately I can’t show images which would make this a lot easier. I’ll use dot points since it will be a week before I get back. It might get you started - it might just confuse but I’ll show images when I get back if you are still stuck:

• Cubase is fully integrated with Ur44 and provides Direct Monitoring, DSP for Reverb and Guitar FX so you can use these during monitoring without latency (and without recording them). All of this is directly integrated in Cubase using teh Hardware tab as steve points out in the previous post.
  • As a result of the above you don’t need to use the DSP Mix FX software at all when in Cubase
  • I find the best option for routing the UR44 is to use the Control Room. In the control room:
    ++ Set up the Main mix to connect to UR44 Mix 1 (if I recall correctly the Outputs tab will show no connection, the Control Room takes over this duty - shame I don’t have Cubase with me. Just setup the Control room and ignore the other tab if it changes).
    ++ Set up Headphones to connect to UR44 Mix 2
    +++ Plug your headphones into Headphone 2 port and set Headphone 2 port to use the Mix 2 bus (in the Audio Hardware panel accessible from Cubase)
    ++ For a Vocal Monitor mix - setup a Cubase Cue Mix, and don’t worry about routing it anywhere at all - you’ll see why in the next point
  • With control Room enabled the Cubase Right panel will show both the Headphone and Main mix controls - importantly you can set either the Main Mix or the Headphones to monitor the Main stereo bus or the Cue Mix. You can thus get the headphones to listen to the cue mix for your vocalist. And you can check it on your monitors as well.
  • Using the Hardware tab in the mixer that steve points out you can set up a channel strip and reverb and have these route to Mix 2 so the monitor mix includes some realtime effects (like comfort reverb or EQ corrections). The same panel allows you to set whether or not Cubase records the dry signal or the effect chain as well.

Everything you want, and more, is available via the UR44, its just a matter of taking one step at a time to understand how the signals flow in Cubase and which interface elements are needed to configure that.

Sorry I can’t send pictures right now, it would definitely help.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks, Rob, for your prompt and full reply. Unfortunately, it appears based around Cubase but I have Cubase Artist 9.5 which, I understand does not have a Control room.
When I opened one of the newly installed UR44 Templates from my Hub, the Mono 1, 2 and 3/4 INs appear (renamed) as UR44 in-1, 2 and 3/4. Now, when I open a new Project, the Project window is configured differently (the two Mixer consoles appear and I have access to "UR44 channels - UR FX Bus and UR44 Mix 1. (I guess I’ll need to reconfigure all my window settings). I guess UR44/Cubase integration has caused this? OK, I’ll deal with that but I still have the following issues.

1. Am I supposed to have (or create?) a fader channel/track that controls the level of my Audio Vocal track only, when recording vocals? (Within UR44 - direct). I can’t find how to adjust the level and balance between existing music/backing tracks (Stereo Out?) and recording vocals.
  2. Do I have TWO H/phone Mix options; as is in the UR44 blue settings box? (I was using this before I realised that box is for other DAWs). Please confirm that the Hardware box and mixer, Scenes, etc are NOT needed with Cubase.

Here is what I expect but can’t achieve:

1. To hear and blend my music/backing with my IN-going vocal when recording it.
  2. What do I need to do to route/send/insert, or Out the necessary signals to achieve this. (Routing etc is a weak area of mine, as is the basics of recording).
  3. Why has a MONITOR channel/track appeared in my system? When adding busses in Audio Connections, I see this but not HEADPHONES.
  4. If this is ever resolved, will I be able to integrate/use DSP in my existing Projects?

NB: I had a UR22 and had no latency issues. Since I started using UR44, latency occurred, so my vocals recording did, too. So, I feel I’ve gone backwards and lost in tech-speak (and awful, vague instructions…lol).
I will now call Steinberg, as I have exhausted all my possibilities. (I did this in Dec but got nowhere, even with a Remote Assist).
I await your response; and thank for trying.
John

Sorry, I didn’t pick up on your using Cubase Artist, the lack of Control Room integration won’t be a show stopper. Without my DAW though I’m not quite sure how to set up the routing, or more correctly, not quite sure how to explain setting up the routing without screenshots.

As you’ve self identified, the issue is getting your head around the signal paths. It also sounds like your Audio Connections setup is a bit off (FX Bus isn’t useful for what you are seeking to achieve,I and have no idea why it would default to that now unless at some point it was accidentally setup that way in Audio Connections).

I’ll be back with me DAW on the weekend and will see what I can figure out and send some screenshots.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks, again, Rob. Bad news:
After trying to figure this problem, Steinberg (by remote Assist) say that;

1. it’s not possible to use the DSP as set up for non-Cubase users!!! (Nonsense??)
    2)) I’m not able to use the H/phone Mix1 and Mix2, or use and store “Scenes” (unbelievable!)
  2. I am also not able to have/use a dedicated monitor fader to balance music with recording vocal tracks!
    (Their Techie and Supervisor) verbally admitted that it does not do what it claims to do. Their ‘solutions’ (which they admitted were “work-arounds”) were as follows:
  3. To 'Q-LINK my music/instrument faders and bring them all down to better hear my recording vocals going in!
  4. Resend all the music tracks to a Group track (preMaster Buss) to give me separate control/balance.
  5. Use the UR44 Morph FX Gain to increase vocal level. (Pretty dumb, really as that will increase my vocal signal)

Steinberg also advised me to go back to using my UR22, which has the simple blend knob!!
Tracy (my girlfriend and helper) bought me this UR44 for Xmas and she still can’t accept that it’s a failed, misleading product, or that Steinberg have the audacity to still sell it. No wonder the manual is misleading, confusing and omitting the basic set up and what to expect
She is now reluctantly having to go through more hassle with Amazon and the supplier to get a refund - possibly rejected because there is no ‘good reason’ to return it. The only thing I gained from using this otherwise worthless product, is having more than two inputs. I only ever need 3. One for a mic and 2 for my stereo Keyboard (MOXF8).

I still share Tracy’s disbelief and doubts that this product is a bad as, even, Steinberg admit and that it could be down to untrained Techies and Manual writers. So, I will look forward to your response, or anyone in here (esp Steinberg) who can give me a definite and final solution.
Cheers,
John