UR44C: Can you choose 3 mics with 48 v + 1 without or only pairs? UR22C: 1 with 48v + 1 without?

UR44C: Can you choose 3 mics with 48 v + 1 without or only pairs? UR22C: 1 with 48v + 1 without?

You can only do it in pairs.

However most dynamic microphones would work just fine even if the phantom power is on.

I wouldn’t do it with ribbon or other delicate microphones. You could cause damage.

If you want to be extra careful you could get a phantom blocker.

1 Like

Ok so would you say a Samson Q2U dynamic or a Rode m1 DYnamic are such sensitive mics? I think not since I have to crank up the gain to almost 100 in the mixer on the PIano when connecting to that audio interface. But I care too much about the mics to burn them.

I was just thinking that I could test the sensitivity and if I have to crank up the gain on the UR44/UR22 then I may use Phantom power and turn down the gain and slowly turn it up until the right level. BUt again I don’t have experience with this.

We have 5 mics: 3 Condenser ones and 2 dynamic ones.

Phantom blocker: Expensive and is it mounted on the mic?

The M1 should be fine (I have one) and I guess the Samson should be ok too. A lot of small mixers have a single phantom power switch for all inputs in which case you have no choice if you need to use both condenser and dynamic microphones at once.
Q. Is it safe to apply phantom power to dynamic mics? (soundonsound.com)

1 Like

Great thanks, and for the link too which I will study (well what it links to :smile:).

Hi Misohoza. Since you have one of the Steinberg AIs, I assume, then couldyou tell me if noise is heard in quiet recordings: Like vocals with some quiet piano or passages with only the vocals? With Dgx670 (I remember you have the 660 right?) There is an awful noise when recording the mic plugged into the piano. Someone somewhere said that the yamaha pianos and Steinberg amps are the most noisy. I saw videos. But I wonder if it is something one notices really?

Another important question, I haven’t yet gotten the answer to, is whether one may record the DSP effects, if pressing the FX button in the app? Someone said that in some other DAWs than Cubase, recording the effects is not possible.

I considered the MOTU M2 as an alternative ai, but then there is no DSP. So I already ordered the Ur22c but have these doubts.

Txs, D

There is always some noise with any interface or mixer. But it should be better than plugging directly into piano, I guess. My dgx650 doesn’t have a mic input so I cannot compare.

You can record the insert fx but not the reverb (send). Well, you can record the reverb too if you turn on loopback. It should work in programs other than Cubase too.

But I wouldn’t record with fx in most cases. You can always add fx after the recording and keep your options open. If you record with fx you cannot undo that.

Great, informative txs. So can’t you have one fx track and one without effects in Cubase recording simultaneously. I got into the game of producing late and had no one to tell me. Hard work to catch up when one doesn’t have any source to get over the obstacles. But wellthat is where we help each other. I help a lot myself. Neural network :sunglasses:

No, but you can use the dsp fx while monitoring and record dry signal. You can apply the same fx afterwards if you wish. You get the vst versions too.

So one can’t record the fx track? I thought things were more flexible. I need to find that video to show. Later. Not at pc now.

Ok I understand what you are saying. The vst affects the daw. The DSP isonly heard directly from the STEINberg interface. But if something goes very well at one recording then how to reproduce the effects? Ok then you insert the VST effects like hallroom etc into the recorded track in Cubase and then you convert this into say an mp3 with those vst effects engraved?

Yes. You can also try different plugins or different settings and see what works best.

SO did I understand you correctly that after recording without the directly monitored effects, then you may in CUbase EASILY apply the same precise effects since a VST package is included. Or is that timeconsuming, to achieve the same precise effects? THere may be many different parameters one needs to copy. In the piano when you choose some reverb, like small Hall (or so) then there are easily like 20-30 different parameters that determine that effect.

You are overthinking this😀

If you really want to apply exactly the same settings just save a fx preset. Then load this preset in Cubase.

I often use the vst version of the reverb. I find it quite good. When it comes to channel strip or amp sims, there are many vst options that are more versatile, easier to use, better sounding (this one is subjective though)…

Maybe but because I haven’t tried using fx, an interface wth DSP etc. VST I never use because I use the sounds of the piano. I have seen videos in which it seems you may have one dry tack recorded WHILE another FX track with the effects which may be recorded or not. IN cubase you may create as many tracks as you wish to. SO I don’t see the problem in having 1) A dry track and 2) A track with the chosen effects: BUt perhaps VST since you said that the directly monitored DSP effects cannot be recorded.

I just logically deduct the use according to the scattered info one gets from multiple sources, since I have no hands on experience in this particular area. But to a regular user things may seem evident.

I always simply use audio tracks in cubase and then edit the tracks and perhaps add some effects if needed. I never use VST as mentioned. THe sounds on the piano are already great. Some people love to complicate things and use vst’s etc etc and many complicated technical setups (which is usually for studios to do). I simply record piano music with vocals. I focus on the music. WHo wants to waste time on tedious tech stuff, well he should probably work as a programmer instead.

Once it’s recorded you can do whatever you want. Duplicate the track, put effects on one but not the other…

You can record the dsp effects but then you don’t record the dry signal. It’s the same one physical (hardware) input. You have to choose if you want to record it dry or with dsp effects.

Some interfaces may be more flexible with routing and possibly allow you record both. But this is not the case with UR interfaces.

Once it is recorded in Cubase you have many more choices when it comes to effects and processing.

1 Like