UR816C: all inputs always audible on out 1 (even without CuBase, even with PC off)

Well I’m lost. I can’t add the rack, fine, no problem. But I’m getting unpredictable behaviour. And that makes it difficult. Without me changing anything I seemingly can be in one of the following four modes, and sometimes it seems to switch between them, either when I open the same CuBase project I’m working on for a few days, or either when I try to fix this situation by either clicking ‘direct monitoring’ on or off, or seemingly at random:

1* All hardware inputs are audible on the output regardless of what the input sliders in CuBase are set to
2* All hardware inputs are audible on the output but they seem to respond to the input sliders in CuBase, usually (or always?) the dspFxMix window will them list “Controlled by DAW”
3* the hardware inputs are not audible on the output, only when i activate the little orange monitor icon on an audio track, CuBase shows the signal in the EQ pane of the channel and it responds to effects
4* the hardware inputs are not audible on the output, only when i activate the little orange monitor icon on an audio track, CuBase does however not show the signal in the EQ pane of the channel nor does it respond to effects

Also sometimes adding a new audio track and assigning it to a hardware inputs will switch “Controlled by DAW” on for that input channel and then the channel is only audible when I monitor from Cubase with the little orange icon.

Finally, sometimes MIDI and/or VSTi tracks only play when I click the little.orange icon, sometimes they always play.

I’m lost.

This is how I see it: de-activate Direct monitorting in Cubase-Devices.
WHen you record on input 1 of the UR816C, then adjust the level of monitoring with the fader in the dspfxmix software. Do NOT turn the monitoring on the Cubasetrack to “on” because you wilkl have latency then. Adjust the inputlevel in Cubase with the inputchannel fader there.
If you don;t use the Controlrroom in CUbase, then you will have the URC-track options in the Inspector in Cubase. In fact it’s really simple. If you have MORE inputs in the URC but you don;t want to hear themn, just MUTE them in the DSPmixer. You mention the Cubase inputsliders, they are just for setting the recording-level, NOT for monitoring your source. That you do in the DSPmixer.
For midi VSTi’s, indeed they only are audible when clocking the little monitoring button, because they are software wihtin Cubase. Your guitar or Mic f.e. are hardware sources from your URC, so their monitoring is within the DSPmixer.
Hope this helps…

1 Like

Hi @ca-booter , many thanks again for your input. I will just experiment a bit more with it. It does seem however that switching off ‘Direct Monitoring’ in Cubase does not prevent Cubase from setting channels in dspFxMix to “Controlled by DAW”. But to be honest, perhaps my experiences start to blur into each other a bit, as its a lot of information, jumping from Cubase 5 to 11, new interface etc etc. I’ll experiment a bit more and come back to this thread.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond in such detailed manner!

Where do you see “controlled by DAW”? I never noticed this.

It’s in the dspFxMix sotftware. It replaces the volume slider. The area is then almost blank with a caption “Controlled by DAW”. Like I said, sometimes, when I add for the first time an audio channel to Cubase and assign say stereo in 3&4 to it, input channels 3 and 4 in dspFxMix will then all of a sudden display “Controlled by DAW”

Okay, never had this one. But like I said, I do not use “direct monitoring” in Cubase, I guess that will cause it. Not sure though…