UR824 and UR28M firmware and Tools update version 2

Guillaume Baron cheers you saved my day. Nearly went to sh.t. Exactly the same problem here.
Im running ok the same as you:-
On UR informations i have “dspMixFx UR824 V1.5.0”
“Boot V2.00”
“Main V2.00”
“Sub V1.50”

2.0 driver definately needs work. stuttering and glitching audio playback of any kind. I run windows 7 I5 quad core. UR824…cubase 7.06 over here though…

No problem! Always good to confirm when other struggles with the same “challenges”…
Just glad to hear I was not the only one :slight_smile:

Looking foreward to receive a workaround or update which solves this.

Hi Guillaume,

I’ve tried the update on my Windows 7 desktop again this evening. I’m running DSP MixFx version 2, and the Yamaha usb driver 1.8 (I think). I have the same details in my “boot”, “main” and “sub” as you.

I think the UR824 update reset my buffer size to 512 samples. I changed this myself to 64 samples and played back a recent project. It all worked without a problem. I need to check again, but I think the update has slightly reduced the latency figures of the UR824 on my desktop.

I haven’t yet played about with the new guitar modelling software, but this appears as an option when I open Cubase. I’ll play about with the update on my Windows 8.1 laptop this weekend.

I’m sorry to say I haven’t got a clue as to why things aren’t working for you (and others). I’ll report back if I have any issues with my laptop or anything develops on my desktop.

Steve.

Well I installed the updates (first firmware, then driver) and everything work fine

Would be nice if I could choose witch input will be used for the loopback, but I really needed that feature!

I installed updates today, and everything works fine, no single problem with the driver, everythings works just like before the update.

I´m just a little confused about the new plugins, hope someone can help me:

First: The new amp plugins doesn´t work with other DAWs? They doesn´t appear on the dspMixFx software, or I can´t find them. So they just work with Cubase-Nuendo?

Second: I just started to use Cubase AI7 and I can´t find the chanel strip (compresor-eq) or how to use it in Cubase. If I go to inserts on the mixer I can see the new amp plugins, but I´m confused, if I use them as inserts on the mixer console in Cubase, the plugins are runing on the UR824 DSP, or on my computer processor? Or how do I do to use them in real time with the UR824 DSP???

if you open dspmix - and then click on the question mark in the top right corner - a pdf of the manual for the UR824 will open… if you go to page 11 you will see a figure of the “channel area” of dspmix look for the “Ch. Strip” indicated by number 8 - this is what you have to click on - to select one of the distortion models.

Cubase is much the same (if you scroll down in the manual you will see where it is selected as well - page 15 i believe)… the amp modeling is released as both VST (plugin format), and dsp. If you select to run the plugin as an insert - you will be using your computer power… if you select it to run it from the “input settings menu” (as seen on page 15) you will run it as a dsp.

I hope that helps.

Dear, Steinberg!

Thanks for dreams came true update.
The CC mode - is what I really dream of my UR28M. It seems that I don’t need apogee jam anymore.
But how to switch UR28M to CC mode?
I’ve tried to use it with Cubasis several times, but all the times sounds came from iPad internal speakers.
I try switch on UR28M holding various buttons, but without any luck. Also there is neither such setting in dspMixFx, nor clear explanation out there how to do it.

I hope, that you didn’t forget to add these function to Firmware 2.0 :laughing:

Yes mOOt, that really helps alot, thanks!

I’m on C7 but might be the same AI7??? On mixer go to the mix console. Go to channel types and make sure your “inputs” are enabled. Only then will you see the choice for “hardware” in the rackes pull down. Select hardware in the racks and then you will see the hardware tab on each input channel. To enable the effects there is a little round switch that configures the fx output between; just monitoring(middle position), monitor while recording(bottom position), and bypass (default top position). If you set it to monitoring or recording , the fx will light up. At that point you can choose channel strip or the gtr fx (clean, lead, drive, crunch).
Using it here I believe you are running it ur824 DSP. Using it on the channel strip insert, I believe you would be using you computers processor.

Yes you’re right. When you get the amp model to appear, you’ll see a small badge on the bottom right. This badge will either say ‘DSP’ or ‘vst’ to give you a quick visual reference of what you’re using.

Steve.

Oh yeah, didn’t notice that till you mentioned it, I see the dsp/vst badge …very cool. Thank you. By the way I had a chance to try out the yamaha guitar classics and to me my initial reaction is they sound very good, very usable. Upcoming projects, I will be putting these to use and I bet they will sound great. Very happy with the update.

Thanks for the nice update for the UR28M.
Some issues though, maybe bugs?

1. After installation I cant get any sound out if my speakers when using, YOUTUBE, Spotify, Medisplayers, browsers
  2. Soundfiles from DARK PLANET was suddenly missing (did reinstall DARK PLANET and now it works, still strange :slight_smile: )
    Best regards, Pete Parker

Hi walltone.

It’s described in the manual how to enter to the cc mode (page 31).

“Turn on the device while holding down OUTPUT button C, and keep pressing the OUTPUT C button until an INPUT meter/ OUTPUT meter flashes.
The UR28M enters Class Compliant mode for Apple iPad connectivity. While in the Class Compliant mode, the power button flashes several times by pressing the power button.
To turn off the Class Compliant mode, turn on the power while holding do wn OUTPUT button C again.”

I hope you enjoy this new feature.

Best regards,
Stefan Schreiber

Great! Big thanx!

I solved the issues

1. I changed the preferences in windows for SOUND. Windows had changed to default settings after the update.
  2. I reinstalled DARK PLANET and the problem was gone
    //Pete

As there is absolutely no comment on my questions I assume that Steinberg does not want to sell this units. OK then to the Apollo for me.
Same as ever…

Hi Alex,

Since your questions are kind of special you may imagine that it takes some time to clarify the answers.

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes, you can connect the UR824 via two Adat to your Fireface ? You need to setup the appropriate routings in dspMixFx then, of course.
  2. Yes, you can leave it connected all the time to the PC to use the mixer when the Fireface driver is selected in Cubase.
  3. Yes, it is possible to open the UR Mixer when Nuendo is running and the Fireface driver is chosen.
  4. Yes, you can use the Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip only for the monitor signal while recording the unaltered signal. This is possible by using dspMixFx. If you want to take advantage of the integration in Cubase you need to select the UR driver.

Best regards,
Stefan Schreiber

Great thanks, very much.

To be clear on point 4. This also possible, when using the device connected via Adat with the Fireface and using the Fireface driver ?

Thanks in advance
Alex

Thank you very much for this update. I feel the UR now plays better than ever!

I wonder if Cubasis for the iPad can be used as a super remote control surface for the UR, including an audio multitrack recorder and editor. This would make a great 24-channel portable digital mixer!

Paolo

Where do I find the activation code to AI 7 ?
I got the download but not the code.

Cheers
Alex