UR824 not always recognized the first time

Hi,

I’m on a Mac mini, with the latest version of Sierra. The installed Yamaha/Steinberg driver is the latest. I continue to have an ongoing issues that has never been resolved: often (one on three times?), when I turn the UR824 on, it is not recognised by dspMixFx, or by the system. I can then turn the audio interface off, and on again, and it works fine.

I totaly uninstalled (with the official uninstaller) the driver, and the reinstalled it, but the problem persists. Is there anybody else with this issue? How is he/she dealing with it?

Paolo

Hi,

Years after, on a different Mac mini (a 2012 Quad-i7) and a different OS (High Sierra), I continue to have the same issue: run dspMixFx, wait a little, turn on the UR-824, and receive the message the audio interface is not recognized. In the meantime, the OS and Logic can work perfectly with it. But I also need the clumsy control panel to remotely set the levels.

After I turn off, then on again the audio interface, it is recognized by dspMixFx. This happened nearly always under Sierra, and happens always since upgrading to HS. I could not solve this issue with the technical support, and am hoping someone with the same problem can help me find a solution.

Best,
Paolo

The issue was not fixed by the latest software updates. dspMixFx v2.2 warns that it can’t see the UR824 after it has been turned on. It can see I turned it on, but can’t communicate. I have to turn the audio interface off then on again to make it see it.

All other audio software, and the Mac itself, can immediately see the audio interface when turned on the first time.

Paolo

I found a way to have the UR824 recognized after the error message, even without turning it off and on again. Put the Mac to sleep, and wake it again. As far as I’ve seen, dspMixFx should now see the audio interface.

Paolo

1 Like

This is the set of errors reported by the Mac’s Console when dspMixFx ends its boot without being able to recognize the UR824:

default 19:16:46.071403 +0200 dspMixFx_UR824 OSErr AERemoveEventHandler(AEEventClass, AEEventID, AEEventHandlerUPP, Boolean)(spec,phac handler=0x7fff4a4efa98 isSys=YES) err=0/noErr
default 19:16:46.071931 +0200 dspMixFx_UR824 OSErr AERemoveEventHandler(AEEventClass, AEEventID, AEEventHandlerUPP, Boolean)(ascr,gdut handler=0x7fff4943f7a8 isSys=YES) err=0/noErr
default 19:16:46.320003 +0200 dspMixFx_UR824 UNIX error exception: 17
default 19:16:46.339638 +0200 dspMixFx_UR824 UNIX error exception: 17
default 19:16:46.346233 +0200 dspMixFx_UR824 UNIX error exception: 17
default 19:16:46.384744 +0200 dspMixFx_UR824 CFError
default 19:16:46.392153 +0200 dspMixFx_UR824 MacOS error: -67071
default 19:16:50.367421 +0200 dspMixFx_UR824 modalSession has been exited prematurely - check for a reentrant call to endModalSession:

Paolo

I am on a Windows machine, and de dspMixFx does not work when Cubase is active (That’s a known fact). Maybe you try to use the dspMixFx at the same time with your Logic?

Thank you for you answer, Fantom. No, Logic has not the same Control Room module as Cubase. You have to use the external dspMixFx. Then, dspMixFx often can’t recognize its own hardware when the rest of the Mac (system sound, Audio and Midi Setup, Logic) can do it.

Unfortunately, in many years of this error occurring I couldn’t get a feedback from other Mac users, to see if I’m the only one to experience it, or it is a common error. No answer from Steinberg as well. So, I can only go on trying and hinting.

Paolo

I have been having a similar issue as well dspMixFx_UR824 does not recognise my UR824 tried putting the latest drivers and tools to no avail.

I’m also always working with up-to-date software, but I’ve been experiencing this issue since the beginning of times. I don’t how many users are affected, but at least it seems there are two.

Paolo

After some times, I can happily report that the UR824 is now recognized most of the times by my Mac. Mac mini 2012 Quad, High Sierra, UR software v2.11, sub v1.50. With the latest version of the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver (v2.0.2) the situation has been solved.

Paolo

EDIT: Only partly solved. The issues is much less frequent than in the past, but it happens sometimes. No longer so often to be really an annoyance.

EDIT2: It may happen that the UR824 is recognized by simply closing and reopening the software again. This seems to happen at specific sessions between restarts of the Mac. Work with it, and it doesn’t work. Reboot, and it works. Reboot again, and it again requires the UR824 to be turned off and on again to be recognized.