UR824 Routing Questions

Okay, so I’ve been doing screencasts of my DAW projects for a few years now. My workaround to get both my microphone and DAW audio (via ASIO drivers) was to take the direct outputs from my monitors and plug them into the two analogue inputs on another interface and then mix from there. This is a such a terrible way to work, especially in the digital age.

Anyway, I would like to route my main outs to a sort of “send” path to one of the ADAT stereo pairs. Is this possible with dspMix? I can’t seem to find too much on how it works, the manual isn’t really helpful in my situation. Likewise, why does my Operating System (Windows 7) only “see” the Line outs 1/2 and not 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8? Again, nothing in the manuals about setting this up on your computer. I just hooked my UR824 up today and have been working with it. For the most part, everything is straight forward but like most interfaces, it is hard to figure out how to setup what I want.

Best,

Chris

Bump. Any thoughts or recommendations would be awesome.

I have workaround that I’m using right now. It’s not as complicated as it sounds, but here is my description:

I use the UR824 while recording mixing and other tutorials in Cubase. I’m recording with OBS screen capture software. I also downloaded a plugin for it called “DirectShow Audio Source Plugin” which allows me to select a separate audio source (this is important).

Because the main DAW mix is coming out of “Mix 1” in the UR828 software, I have set one of my headphones to output from this “Mix 1”. This means that whatever I’m hearing in Cubase and all other desktop audio is going through this headphone jack.

I’m then plugging in a 1/4" cable into said headphone jack, then using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter so I can plug this signal into the line input on the computer’s built-in soundcard.

In OBS, under the main audio settings, I have the “Desktop audio” and “Mic audio” set to default. My computer’s default output is my main Mix 1 output (sent to my monitors) and my default mic is set as input 1 on the UR824. I have a condenser mic hooked up to input 1 as my speaking/commentary mic.

The OBS plugin that I mentioned allows me to add the computer’s line input signal (mentioned earlier) as a “global source” in any of my “scenes” (OBS lingo). This plugin allows for multiple input sources too.

This means that all of my desktop audio (all the audio that’s coming out of Cubase and my computer that I want to record) is coming out of my headphone jack then back into the computer, which I can then select as an input source in OBS. I can also select my mic as a mono mic source (input 1 of the UR824). Thus, recording all audio as well as my mic, all exported into a neat .mp4

Anyways, hopefully this makes sense to you. If not shoot me some questions, I hope I didn’t miss anything in my description.

If you are on Windows, try the free Voicemeeter http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/

It works fantastic with ASIO multiple inputs-outputs as well, without any degradation in audio quality. It creates a “middle layer” between ASIO and Windows audio and allows you basically unlimited routing, even aggregating different audio devices on OS level.

I am using it with Focusrite Saffire ASIO drier, and what Focusrite and Microsoft did not implement, they realized it perfectly. As far as I’ve heard here, the Loopback function of UR824 is also a bit limited.

After the initial setup, you can record anything anytime from anywhere.

Worth a try, let me know if that works, as I am also a prospective UR824 buyer. :slight_smile:

I don’t understand exactly why you use another audio card, but… Why don’t you record everything in a new stereo track with the loopback option On?

Hmm, I’ve tried using the Loopback, but couldn’t get it to work the way that I think it should work. Maybe I’ll fool around some more and I’ll post my results. It would be great not having to use my headphone jack.

The Loopback function records (in stereo) everything is sounding, so, no need to monitor because what you hear is what you record

Great suggestions everyone. I can say, from Steinberg Support, it is impossible for Windows to recognize the other outputs which seems like something they need to work on. RME has this ability so…

Anyway, I like the functionality of the UR824 so I guess finding a work around is the best. VoiceMeeter actually didn’t work well for me, the latency was too much for what I do. I also use OBS and using the direct plugin mentioned above seems like a good option as I can separate out my audio from my mic and mix it in later.

Again, thanks for all the help!!

-C

I can get the loopback function to work so that OBS records both my microphone and the stereo output signal in my DAW. The bad thing about this setup though, is that if I plug my mic into channel 1, my microphone is going to be on the left side only. The only way for me to get my mic in mono is to go into OBS settings and force the input into mono. But this also renders my stereo output signal to mono because it and my microphone are sharing the same buss, meaning both are being recognized as one source. That source is recognized as a mic input in OBS.

I only figured out one workaround, and that’s to put my mic through a mixer board instead of my interface. But this is not a good option for me because I lose one channel on my mixer to this microphone, it no longer allows me to use the talkback feature in Cubase because the mic is no longer on an input on the interface. This is not a good workaround, so I’m sticking to the headphones jack workaround that I described earlier.

Did you try to set the latency in Voicemeeter settings?

You can go down to 128 samples.