I have found a serious, reproducable problem on two different DAW’s running Cubase with East West Play and the Steinberg UR interfaces. Before changing to the UR’s, everything worked fine. I don’t know if it’s a Steinberg or East West issue so I have already contacted both companies.
The problem can easily be reproduced:
- Create a new Cubase project with one instance of Play.
- Load various samples into Play so that Cubase takes up more than approximately 3GB of RAM in the task manager.
- Save the project.
- Load it, wait for the samples to load --> CRASH
I found out that the crash occurs when Cubase tries to initialize the INPUTS of the UR interfaces: Sometimes I’m able to load the project without a crash, but the inputs and outputs are not connected in the VST connections window. When I setup the outputs, it works. When I setup the inputs, Cubase crashes after the second (right) one.
- The problem doesn’t occur in projects without Play.
- It doesn’t occur with other audio interfaces.
- It doesn’t occur with the “Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver”.
- It doesn’t occur if I load less samples (less than about 3GB memory usage of the Cubase task)
My system specs:
DAW1: Windows 7 64Bit, 24GB RAM, Cubase 6.5.0, Play 3.0.39, Steinberg UR824 interface with latest drivers and firmware.
DAW2: Windows Vista 64Bit, 32GB RAM, Cubase 6.0.7, Play 3.0.39, Steinberg UR28M interface with latest drivers and firmware.
Both DAWs are optimized and worked flawlessly before.
It would help a lot if I could get some feedback if this is reproduceable on other machines.