UR824 with Focusrite Clarett Octopre

Has anyone had experience using these together with the Focusrite as an extension preamp to the UR824? I may have a decent price on a secondhand one (not the latest model but the previous one)

Hi @111419.

have used the UR824 with an Audient and RME interface, as slave. Which was a straight forward setup via ADAT, no issues.

When I tried to use the Audient as slave to the UR824, I was getting the same sigmal from the Audientā€™s input 1, for example, through all ADAT channels of the UR824. Maybe routing settings, but I didnā€™t investigate any further.

Canā€™t see why the UR824 and the Focusrite wouldnā€™t play nice together since the connection would be standard ADAT/WC protocol.

Note: Some folk have had issues in the past with Focusrite Driverā€™s with popā€™s and clicks, while reverting to an older driver cured the problem.

Thanks - really useful. So, to be clear youā€™re saying the UR824 can work as extension preamps to another interface (e.g. you run the audient as the main interface and extend it with the Steinberg?)

Yes, that is what I was doing and it worked perfectly fine.

But it should be able to work visa - versa.

Thatā€™s really helpful as it means I might be better off getting a new interface rather than the Focusrite.

Does the UR824 work as both I & O? I can see that you can route the inputs to the ADAT out - but will ADAT in bring in the outputs of another interface and send them to the audio outs of the UR824? Also, I note on other interfaces there is something like a ā€˜stand aloneā€™ or ā€˜slaveā€™ mode - do you need to do something like this to make the UR824 work in this way?

Thanks again

[quote=ā€œ111419, post:5, topic:889815ā€]
Does the UR824 work as both I & O?
[/quote] Yes.

will ADAT in bring in the outputs of another interface and send them to the audio outs of the UR824?
[/quote] Yes.

on other interfaces there is something like a ā€˜stand aloneā€™ or ā€˜slaveā€™ mode - do you need to do something like this to make the UR824 work in this way
[/quote] Yes.

Changes can be made in the Audio Interfaces software. You just need to make the relevant connection/s and decide which one will be Master and which one will be Slave.

If in doubt, have a read through the manual. It should give you a step by step guide.

Thanks for all your help

More than welcome.

If you do need more advice, let me know.

Hi I have this setupā€¦ it all works fine in anything except cubase . I have the Clarett synced to the UR824 . I get output to stereo out from all inputs . When I start cubase I can see the ADAT inputs on the meters. but no Stereo Out. ā€¦ The Analog In meters are not showing anything - I have a Bass plugged into the front.

This config works as expected with other DAWs and Apps.

Reason
MPC Software
Groove Agent
etc

Any Ideas ? TIA

Which one is being used as the interface and which is that ADAT preamp?

UR824 is the primary interface with claret connected by adat. A and B. audio clocked on B

Forgive my ignorance, but why would you have the Clarett in A and B? Surely one ADAT preamp should be IN/OUT of either A or B but not both?

theyā€™re 16 channels of digital I/O. 8. per channel. A and B.

You will need to create an Audio track in Cubase and select the ADAT as the input for the track. Then select the tracks Monitor button. You should then be able to hear the sound.

Yes I tried that earlier today and it seems to be working now.

Thanks

1 Like

Great.

1 Like