USB audio recording input volume

Hi Guys,

I am a new Cubasis 2.4 user. My apologies for the noob question. I tried to search but coudn’t find an answer. I’m sorry, perhaps my search skills are lacking.

Here is what I have:
iPad Pro
Novation Audiohub 2x4
Teenage Engineering OP-1

I wish to record my OP-1 performances into Cubasis by way of the Novation Audiohub.

Here is how it’s connected:

[iPad]-[lightning-USB]-usb-cable-[Novation]-stereo-audio-cable-[OP-1 output]

From my testing, this works - I am able to record the OP-1 audio output into a Cubasis audio track.

However, the input volume is quite low. I can increase the OP-1 volume to compensate, but for some reason, if I increase the Novation input gain, it doesn’t increase the volume into Cubasis.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Novation audiohub 2x4 into Cubasis? And, is there a way to manually increase the waveform volume of a track within Cubasis? I couldn’t find a way to do this from my manual searching through the interface.

Thank you all for the help.

Hi b_w,

Thanks for your message.

Audio signals should always be optimal levelled, before recording them.
Normally this task can be easily achieved via the audio device in use.
Since we’re not equipped with the Audiohub 2x4, I’d suggest to get in touch with Novation or read the manual of the audio device.

Please follow these steps to increase the volume of lower levelled Wave files in Cubasis:

• Double tap the desired audio file in the arrange window (to open it in the audio editor)
  • In the audio editor: tap the “Normalize” button from within the menu located on the left

As mentioned above, the better step is to make sure audio signals are perfectly levelled…

Best wishes,
Lars

Thank you Lars for the reply.

From troubleshooting this issue, I noticed that if I go to Setup > Audio, I see that Cubasis has detected the Novation Audiohub 2x4 in the Audio Device section. But the Input Gain adjustment is not selectable. Should the Input Gain allow control over a USB interface signal?

Hi b_w,

The input gain adjustment option is an Apple related feature, which is not supported by many audio devices/interfaces.
In general, proper levelling is always done via the audio device in use.

I’d suggest to get in touch with the audio device manufacturer regarding the topic.
If required, we’re at hand to provide them with a Cubasis promo code for testing purposes.

Best,
Lars

Hi,
As a future update to Cubasis on iOS, would there be some kind of “Step recording” especially for drums,

Hi,
Don’t know if there is a way to do Step recording within Cubasis on iOS if there is would love to know.
If not I think it would be a great feature, especially for drums, maybe the developers could consider this in a future update?

Also a way to map out the drums that already come with Cubasis, maybe so you could have just snare or bass drums playing the whole of the midi keyboard to create low sounding snare or by playing higher up the keyboard play high sounding snare drums.
With the added feature of step recording this would enhance the app so much…

Thank you

:ugeek:

Hi Cubasis99999,

Cubasis comes with a full MIDI editor, which allows to draw notes.
Please have a look at our available MIDI editor tutorial to learn more.

Please let me know if this helps to solve the question.

Best,
Lars

Thank you Lars for your reply.:grinning:

Is there a way to map the drum kits within Cubasis for example

Choose a kit from classic machines, just play the snare drum using the whole keyboard notes.
So the drum is low or high.y
Kind of tune up or down the drums
I note the drums are mapped to specific keys but cannot be edited,
Same as the instruments cannot be edited apart from attack/ release?

Thank you.

Hi Cubasis99999,

This is not possible with the Classic Machines.

However Cubasis comes with a MiniSampler instrument, which allows things like this.
Please have a look at our available MiniSampler tutorial for more information.

Best,
Lars