USB Port dilemma

Cubase 4 user, and hoping to be C7 user, but I’ve run into a huge problem.

My previous laptop had 4 usb 2.0 ports. It died and I bought a Sony Vaio F series with 1 usb 2.0 and 2 usb 3.0.

Mostly though I got it for the firewire output for a presonus soundcard. Turns out it has a ricoh chipset instead of the TI I used to have. In essence the presonus firebox was useless.

So I bought a Focusrite 8i6 usb interface to get around the firewire issue and found it does not like the usb 3.0 ports and will only work on the usb 2.0 with no other devices on it/no hubs. It works great.

I have an external drive with my samples on a usb 3.0 (only 1 hard drive in the laptop).

I have a mouse on the remaining usb 3.0

No room for the Cubase dongle.

When I tried the dongle on a usb hub from the 3.0 with my mouse also on it, the mouse lagged something chronic.

I’ve never had a problem with the dongle and it works fine without mouse.

A friend suggested a bluetooth mouse, but does anyone have any other ideas?

The dongle doesn’t work well on USB3, there’s more reports on that.
I would try running the audio interface and the dongle from a powered USB hub in the USB2 port, I run my dongle from a hub too, works fine.

Hi Strophoid

Thanks for that. I had no idea you could get powered separate usb hubs.

I’m running both 4 and 7trial on the hub with external usb soundcard and mouse and so far all great.

Thanks, you saved me a bluetooth mouse purchase and steinberg might well get a sale/upgrade.

7 is so much faster.

Regards
Jason