Use Generic Remote to control External Midi device in real time

Hi everyone

I know how to setup Generic Remote to control Cubase from an external device. And I know how to setup Cubase automation to control external midi devices. What I would like to know is how to create a Generic Remote to control the external midi device, which I want to do because I want to control it while playing live and I need to be able to translate midi from the incoming midi device to the external midi device (because they use different midi messages).

One specific thing I would like to do is to be able to send a midi message from my input device (either program change or CC or whatever… it can generate various) to trigger a real time ‘start’ message in the external device (but I don’t want it to start Cubase transport, so using the project synchronisation options are not possible).

Any pointers on how to do this? What I thought was obvious (creating a generic remote and selecting midi input and output as the two different devices) didn’t work, and google isn’t helping much.

Thanks.

just nudging this up again – if i have it in the wrong forum, please do let me know.
thanks

Hi you,

I am not an expert on this, but you might want to have a look at the midi device editor. You can create device panel for any (external) midi device (it is rather complicated to do that, though). Afaik it is possible to automate these devices’ parameters then.

A simpler approach for what you specifically want to do could be to create a midi track. Then route your imput devices to this track and route the track to your external device. Then use the input transformer or the respective midi insert effect to perform the transformation of the command.

HTH, Ernst

that’s a great idea, will give that a go, thanks for the suggestion