Use of Roland RD700GX as MIDI keyboard with Dorico

Hi,
I have a Roland RD700GX stage piano which is a MIDI keyboard. Though I have now dropped by Sibelius subscription, I could use the USB MIDI port on the keyboard to input notes into Sibelius. So far, I have only managed to use the keyboard as a MIDI input device with Dorico if I take the MIDI out ports and connect to a Steinberg UR22C interface and plug that into my McBook Pro. That route seems clumbersome.

So - my question - has anyone used a RD700GX with Dorico? and am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for any help.

Any MIDI keyboard that is received by the OS should be available in Dorico. Check that it’s both listed and checked in Preferences > Play, as here.

Screenshot

Are you able to use the Roland keyboard directly in other apps, e.g. MainStage, Logic, Cubase, Garageband?

You should also see a little green dot in the bottom right hand corner of Dorico when it receives a MIDI note.

Hello,
I have the exact same keyboard. I could use with Dorico normally, even though now I have it connected via a DIN cable. I recall that the Roland has a switch in the settings for the proprietary driver and the class-compliant one. If Dorico doesn’t detect the USB entry of the Roland, try to switch to the class-compliant one and see if it’s detected by Dorico.

1 Like

Hello benwiggy,
Thank you for your help - sadly no. If I just connect my Roland RD700GX via its USB MIDI out to my MacBook Pro I do not see the keyboard in the Preferences > Play panel you showed.

Al I see is
IAC Driver Bus 1
IAC Driver Bus 2
IAC Driver Bus 3

I also do not see the keyboard in GarageBand.

Is it the age (technology or lack) of the keyboard?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Stephen Bashforth
stephen.bashforth@icloud.com

Life with music has soul
Music with soul is life
Life with soul is harmonious

I wonder whether you have a new Apple silicon-powered Mac and the driver software for your Roland keyboard is sufficiently old that it is not native on the new architecture, so only non-native apps like Sibelius will see the keyboard if it is connected directly via USB?

Hi Daniel,
Thank you - but sadly no - my MacBook is intel silicon as it is a 2019 machine.

Stephen Bashforth

Life with music has soul
Music with soul is life

Does the keyboard show up when connected via USB in the Audio MIDI Setup app on your Mac?

Can you verify that it is not listed as a disabled MIDI input device on the Play page of Preferences?

Hi Lucas Rei Ramos

PLease where do I find the switch in the settings for the proprietary driver and the class-compliant one? I have just scrolled through the menu using Function > Edit and I have not seen anything that relates to class compliant drivers. Help will be appreciated.

Stephen Bashforth

Life with music has soul
Music with soul is life

Hi Lucas, do you use a DIN plug to USB cable plugged in to the MIDI output2 port?
Does a DIN plug have the same pins as a MIDI plug?

Thanks

Stephen

Please see page 142 of the owner’s manual: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/RD-700GX_OM.pdf

1 Like

This is how I have it configured:

Last time I tried, it worked. I can try it again later.
Hope it helps

1 Like

Hi Lucas

THANK YOU is hardly enough - your video was so massively helpful - you solved my problem in a way that is sooo helpful and so easily understood.
How you created the video and loaded it is well beyond me - but it was so useful seeing each key stroke.

Truly great thanks.

I am now the happiest bunny on the planet!

Many thanks

Stephen Bashforth

Life with music has soul
Music with soul is life

1 Like

Glad it helped! It’s a great piece of hardware, and has been with me in many gigs and adventures.

1 Like

It just needs a good dust!

2 Likes

As I was replaying the video I was thinking OMG how did I post this? :rofl: