User Help is Useless, as are Steinberg's YouTube 'how to do' videos

The Cubase 13. Pro, user ‘help’ manual is pathetic to say the least.
No explanations of how to do anything really.
Just explanations that the features exist. Ummm …
Now I come to think of it, a close up of the relevant ‘buttons’ might help, Duh…

As a trainer and trainer of trainers, I recognise that Steinberg understand nothing about explaining (or demonstrating the ‘how to do’ ) of doing anything.

And, as the product gets more ‘feature heavy’ the incomprehension gap of Steinberg’s offerings widen, and the failure of the ‘help’ documentation becomes more apparent. (as does the frustration of the user.)

The Steinberg ‘videos’ are even worse! Just showing someone jumping around on his seat and nodding his head to a tedious and very silly ‘groove’ does not explain anything, as far as Cubase accessibility goes.
Example; (Side camera view… ) ‘Öh, you can also do this’ No shots of the screen, or what he’s pressed at all generally. If screenshot, maybe 3 x millisecond frames, and then back to idiotic nodding of the head to the by-now, EXTREMELY tedious ‘groove.’ USELESS!

Wise up Steinberg!. I have paid many thousands of pounds since Cubase Atari ST days to keep my Cubase updates current… You should really have hired someone with some sense to develop and design your manuals (and vids).

1 Like

Greg Ondo typically has great practical advice in his “Club Cubase” question and answer streams. I think you might like it.

This is a playlist with the streams up until 2023, but his videos go back many years if you search for them on YouTube. And if you catch a stream live, you can ask questions yourself.

2 Likes

Thanks Cyanne.

The vids you recommended are fine, but given the huge amounts of topics, finding anything out immediately relating to how to do something (while I’m supposed to be working) is like finding a needle in a haystack.

For example, I have been trying to set up a project in 6/8 all morning.
OK, I worked out how to set the metronome and count-in to 6/8…
However, the new project grids only conform to 4 bars not to 3 or any multiple of 3/4. .

Also, I have no vari audio selection in any track inspector, (while trying to pitch-correct vocals) when double clicking the audio image. Yes, I realise I am supposed to segment the audio, but ‘help’ is useless in this regard It just says 'do it '.

If I buy an expensive car, I don’t want to have to go to various garages and mechanics, just to find out where the air filter (for example) is… Stienberg software is like this; The software’s fine, but the 'how to do’s ’ are pathetic.

thanks for your pointers…

regards

ritchie.

1 Like

I suppose complaining is one thing to do, or you could ask the forum a single question about what you want to do. You will get ample responses, given in a style that might work for you.

Also, Help - About | CubaseINDEX.com

2 Likes

Oh, that site should help reduce the “needle in a haystack” problem! I did not know about it.

I can sympathise with this, I often find the Cubase documentation seems to have been written by the person that wrote the code, therefore it is “This is how this function works”, and can be missing a broader context. I have found other documentation styles more along the lines of “If I want to do xxxx, these are the steps I would follow”. But this can be lacking in detail. I find I need both, at different stages in my learning process! YMMV.

this is probably the best one IMO.

Another good one, but not updated past 2021 is this (have a few seconds of patience)
https://download.steinberg.net/cubase-on-youtube/index.html

Are they really Steinberg produced videos? Or are they anyone looking to gain clicks & money?

I find Dom to get excited sometimes, but that is mostly passion.

Chirs a bit less but quite informative, and if he messes up he will be the first to admit it.

This guy too

This guy does a lot of short ones, and a lot for newbies

2 Likes

I’m hoping that this will be updated past 2021 in the future.

1 Like

If you watch a Cubase live stream, Greg mentions an index of topics covered in live streams. I haven’t tried it yet.

Try the youtube vids by MTT. I also invested in his book “The Complete Guide To Music Technology Using Cubase 13”. Both are more hands on for those like me who need a more indepth explanation
Good luck but persevere as Cubase has lots to offer!