Using a touchscreen as a mix console

I recently bought a touchscreen to use with Cubase 12 on Windows 11. I’ve got my workflow set up so that my main workspace is my main monitor (non-touchscreen) where I use the mouse to do everything. I’ve put my mix console onto my touchscreen so that I can reach over and slide the faders just like on a good-old-fashioned mixing deck. Problem is, when I touch them, the mouse pointer gets moved to the touchscreen and I have to move it back to the main screen to resume work there. This sadly means that there isn’t any obvious way to use a touchscreen as a mix console. Any ideas on how to make this work as it should? I’ve tried various Windows settings and can’t find anything in Cubase itself to make this possible. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Sorry, Cubase doesn’t support touch screens this way. And it doesn’t support multi-touch.

You can do this (as I did) using something called Touch Mouse Tools. Not sure why there is no way of achieving this natively in MS Windows settings, but alas you will need a tool such as the one above to use your mixer on a touchscreen in the way you described.

…does this utility implement multi-touch capability?

It looks like this program creates a virtual device for touch, and then limits it to a specific display. Tough sensing still behaves like a mouse device.

I don’t think it does multi-touch, but it does solve the problem of the mouse pointer being captured by the touchscreen instead of resuming from its prior position on the main display. There are tools such as MouseMux which I believe create virtual devices. I tried this but it didn’t work too well for me. As far as I’m aware, Touch Mouse Tools just moves the pointer discretely back to the last mouse position after a touch event is registered, which gives the impression of the mouse and touch input being two seperate inputs (even though they are one). This is my understanding of it. There is a long FAQ on the website which explains this I think.

That’s what I thought. Just want to make sure users who find this topic don’
t get their hopes up that they’ll get multi-touch in Cubendo by using this utility.

1 Like