Using Berlin Woodwinds in Dorico

Although I have (very) limited practice using Orchestral Tools’ Berlin Woodwinds through Kontakt 5, in an older version of Cubase (7.5), I haven’t yet gone beyond using Dorico’s pre-loaded Halion Sonic sample library when using Dorico.

However, it is time that I learned how to use other sample libraries with Dorico - including expression maps - and I’d welcome any suggestions as to any appropriate Dorico videos, tutorials, web pages and articles. For example, would Expression Maps for Dorico 3.5+ be a good place to start?

Thanks!

From the manual:

From our YouTube channel:

Thanks, Daniel!

Not sure that I correctly understand the difference between an “Endpoint Configuration” and a “Playback Template”. Is the following correct?

• An endpoint configuration can contain all the necessary details of the multiple VST instruments that are used in a project, and one can save and later import that endpoint configuration into another project.

• A playback template can contain more than one endpoint configuration.

If that’s correct, then - hypothetically - would one not need to create a playback template if all one ever needs to use is a particular endpoint configuration? Or, are playback templates the routine method by which endpoint configurations can be ‘imported’ into a new project?

As usual, the Dorico video is beautifully done. Also as usual, it seems aimed at those who already know the terms and procedures described. (I can imagine, tho’, that producing the same video, with full explanations - for newbies to the subject, like myself – would result in the equivalent of a feature film!)

An endpoint configuration consists of the state of a plug-in (i.e. the actual patches that are loaded and all associated settings, which are saved into a binary blob that can be reloaded later on to put that plug-in back into precisely the same state), and the settings in the Endpoint Setup dialog, which provide the mapping between endpoints (i.e. channels/slots in the plug-in), instruments in the score, and what expression and percussion maps they use. An endpoint configuration can do all of this for just one plug-in, or for many plug-ins.

You can create a playback template using just a single endpoint configuration, but typically you will add multiple endpoint configurations, and also add an automatic playback template as a fallback in your custom playback template, so that if you add an instrument to your project that isn’t otherwise catered for by the endpoint configurations in your playback template, Dorico can nevertheless load an appropriate sound. Using e.g. NotePerformer (if you have it) or the standard HSSE+HSO (Pro) playback template (if you don’t) as a fallback would be pretty typical.

Thanks, Daniel. So are endpoint configurations only ‘importable’ (i.e., to another project) via a playback template (in which those endpoint configurations have been included)?

Correct.