Using both elision and hyphen in piano fingering

Is the following possible by means of the fingering popovers in Dorico?

I use elisions to show finger interchanges and hyphens to show the fingers that alternate in a trill. This makes it possible to show when the first or last notes of a trill are played by different fingers from those that play most of the alternations. Two or more finger numbers over a single note without an elision or hyphen shows that these fingers play the same key simultaneously.

You can’t do this at present, John, since the appearance of fingering substitutions is governed solely by an engraving option, which means it applies project-wide. But I have made a note of the need to allow this to be varied on a per-fingering basis (which we could achieve by way of a new property in the Properties panel) and we’ll try to implement this soon.

3 Likes

Thank you very much, Daniel. Ideally, one would be able to type a symbol in the popover to show a hyphen.

I forgot to ask about this in the original post. Sorry. Is it or will it be possible to place an elision symbol after a single finger number? Both above and below the number? I use that symbol to show notes that are held beyond their notated length. Thank you.

Here is an example:

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 8.14.03 AM

No, at the current time that’s not possible: Dorico can only show the slur when it indicates a substitution, so there would need to be a second digit indicating the finger that is substituted.

In keyboard music (or come to think of it any music that doesn’t need trombone slide positions) that’s easily worked around (ahem: Music Symbols Editor). I note that the slurs above the notes seem to go in the wrong directions, though, and I’m not sure if there’s a good fix for that:

Thank you very much for the information, Daniel.

Thanks, pianoleo. If one created fingering symbols that included the elision symbols, would one be able to input them along with the normal fingering symbols within the fingering popover? I would like to make use of convenience of the Dorico fingering popover while using my fingering system.

Concerning your comment about the direction of the elision symbols. When the voices hold above a lower voice, I put the elisions above. When they hold under a higher voice, I put them below. If the there are pairs holding through as shown, both elisions should be above, but I make an exception because the lower elision would tend to push the finger numbers too far apart.

In the case of the first third most players could only hold the second finger note so the thumb note is shown without an elision symbol and a pedal mark indicates that the pedal is responsible for holding the top voice.

But perhaps you were just referring to what some automatic behavior in Dorico does with the elisions. In which case, yes that would not work.

You can’t add fingering symbols that Dorico can understand, but you can edit the existing fingering symbols as I’ve done in my screenshot. I just coloured the “0” fingering (as used in string writing) white, then input each substitution with a 0 at the end, e.g. 2-0 to show a 2 with an elision slur. Dorico’s fingering functionality is lenient enough to let you substitute from any finger to 0, or from any finger to 6 (to cater to pianists from Norfolk).

Thanks again, pianoleo. So it seems that that solution wouldn’t work for me since I need to use both the normal and the new combination symbols within the popover = 15 different symbols. So I guess it would be necessary for the fingering popover to accept any symbol, or at least provide empty slots for customization.

Unless you need to use all of 6, 7 and 0 there’s no need to add anything new. The slur is produced by typing a hyphen between the initial finger and the substitution finger (which can be a modified 6, 7 or 0).

If I understand correctly, I would be able to type 3 hyphen (say) 6 and the 6 would become an upper elision and 3 hyphen 7 and the 7 would become a lower elision. Is that correct? And if so, perhaps the 0 might become a real hyphen which would solve the problem described in the OP in using both elisions and hyphens? And if that all works, could I simply type 45 and have the two numbers together as the single finger number centered over a note without a hyphen or elisions being involved?

But you illustrated a problem with the direction for the elisions. And there is may also be a problem in centering the symbols over the note heads.

I’m afraid most of your assumptions in this thread are incorrect.

As I understand it, the popover accepts
n : a single number between 0 and 7, which automatically resolves to the relevant Music Symbol.
- : a substitution that, dependent on your Engraving Options (and in future a property override) automatically resolves to either a hyphen or an elision slur. Dorico looks at the context and decides whether the elision slur should be above or below. This is not something the user has control over.

Thank you, pianoleo. Given those constraints, it is clear that I would not be able to input piano fingering in the popover.