Using Cubase as a live sound mixer

Does anyone use Cubase for live music? What I mean is. At my Church we do live sound. We started doing a video feed a few weeks ago. When the CV is over we will continue that when the church comes back. We need a mix for the church that is a totally different mix for the video. We have the Behringer x32 mixer. It has a built in sound card so we can take the 32 ch output and plug it into a computer. I was thinking cubase and sort of run it like a live mixer. Sort of like Avid Venue. I know Cubase is not really built for that but I have been using Cubase Pro since version 4. So, I would like to use this if I can. I have no problem running the buffer at around 2000 samples or so (around 50ms delay) if that would work for processing.

Has anyone here done something like this before? Does it work or is there a better way of doing this type of thing? We could just buy a 2nd mixer and do it that way. But Cubase would probably sound a lot better if we can get it working right.

It can be used as a mixer but if your using effects in Cubase you’ll have to see if the effect is latency is acceptable.

I use the UR44 and hardware application as a live mixer. The effects are built into the interface so there is no latency.
It works for me because there is EQ and compression on every channel and can add reverb.

The only thing is if my laptop dies I’m SoL which is why I sill have my analog mixer.

Reason I’m moving to this setup is I’m starting to use Groove Agent 5 and Cubase for backing tracks this way everything is consolidated and controlled from my laptop.

Hi there

I use Cubase (Elements) as a live mixer ALL the time works well, see my article on it here:

I haven’t used a physical mixer in years. Been doing 4 live streaming shows a week during lockdown, ALWAYS using Cubase.

Best Regards, Dave

Best Regards, Dave

When you just arm the channels then mix a live project. Does the latency just add to the channels like normal? I mean if I add 50ms of latency to ch1 will all the channels still be in sync like in a normal mic project in cubase. I forget the name of that autolatency or something like that.

Hi there

I have mixed a band live using this system without a problem, however what do you mean by adding 50 ms of latency? That IS too much and would definitely be heard and “felt”

Best Regards, Dave

Sure it will.