Using Cubase Elements 6 on more than one computer

Hi,

How can I put my Cubase Elements 6 on two of my computers? I’ve installed it on my desktop and want it on my laptop as well, in case I’m moving around, but the licence key doesn’t work a second time.

This is worrying me already and I’ve only just got it. Since I tend to reinstall Windows often as well, presumably I can’t put it back on my first computer either? Or what if I upgrade the computers hardware?

It’s not as if I’m going to be using both simultaneously; it’s my product, I just want to be able to use it in different places.

Thanks

EDIT: or at least is there a way I can move the licences to another computer?

I don’t know if you could transfer the licence onto a dongle then you could move the dongle (licence) between various computers.

I think it works the same way as the OEM versions. You need a USB-eLicenser …

It should work if you get a dongle and move the license onto that. Then you can use Cubase elements on whichever computer you stick the dongle in.

Thanks for your replies. What do I have to do to copy the licences? Which menus?

Thanks

1. You can´t copy them, you have to move them.
    2.Use the elicenser help, the forum search, the elicenser web site and the steinberg web site - enough info there already…

If you want to re-install windows (without using the dongle) you can go to your “MySteinberg” account and request a net activation key for Cubase Elements (you enter the ID of the new Soft e-Licenser which you can find when you start the eLicenser software on your pc and you enter your “old” activation code. Steinberg will then provide you with a new activation code to license Cubase of that computer.

But if you want to move the license from Desktop to Laptop you need a USB eLicenser (dongle), they are very easy to use, you just purchase one from Steinberg (if you don’t already have one) and then you start the eLicenser control center. Once the control center is started and your USB eLicenser is connected to your USB port you should see the following :
in the left there should be a window with 3 icons (a key-chain, a USB-Stick and a Harddisk) to the right you’ll see all your licenses (when the key-chain is selected) if you click on the harddisk you’ll see all licenses that are activated on your computer and then you can drag and drop the license from your harddrive to the USB eLicenser. After you’ve done this the Control Center will start moving your License to the USB eLicenser so be sure not to remove the USB eLicenser before the license transfer is complete.

You can put multiple licenses on your USB eLicenser if you want (like Wabelab Elements or Sequel) but beware that once the license is transfered from your Software eLicenser to the USB eLicenser it is NOT possible to transfer the License back to a Software eLicenser !
This works fine for me (I’ve got Cubase Elements 6 and Wavelab Elements 7 activated on a USB eLicenser), the only down-side is that since my Laptop only has 3 USB-Ports I don’t have that much ports available and the USB eLicenser needs one and so does the Interface (CI2+) but this can probably be solved with a simple USB-Hub (but that’s just another thing you need to carry with your laptop).

Well I hope this helps !
If this is still unclear there should be an article from Steinberg in the FAQ or Knowledge-base with detailed instructions on howto do this.

Another thing you want to do before transferring the license is to see if you are using the latest version of the eLicenser Control Center (on my computer older versions give error messages when the “maintenance” option is running but installing the latest version seems to fix that problem).

Patrick

Thank you, Patrick, for taking the time to write your concise answer! :slight_smile:

“You can put multiple licenses on your USB eLicenser if you want (like Wabelab Elements or Sequel) but beware that once the license is transfered from your Software eLicenser to the USB eLicenser it is NOT possible to transfer the License back to a Software eLicenser !”

This is really dumb of them. What is the point of that limitation? I can’t get the elicense for Cubase 6 Elements to activate on my laptop, but I can on my PC. So, in order to get it to work on my laptop, I have to make Cubase 6 Elements dongle-dependent, which defeats the purpose of me getting it in the first place (since I don’t want a dongle-dependent sequencer for live shows. Their whole licensing process is screwy and annoying as hell.

Ironically, this just punishes legal users and only encourages people to download hacked versions that don’t have such stupid limitations.

sounds like that’ s a problem of your Laptop, not Steinberg…

Sounds like it’s a problem of Steinberg’s if Steinberg wants to keep getting money from customers. I’ve seen a decent number of people have this problem, so maybe Steinberg should come up with a system that’s more compatible with people’s computers. They’re not getting my money if their picky license setup doesn’t work. I have no firewalls or antivirus turned on. Internet works fine. I’ve tried two different hard drives with the same lap top. People are just going to steal if they want to steal, so why pretend to be fighting piracy? It just makes it a bigger pain in the butt for those of us willing to pay. And ironically, because of their anti-piracy effort, I WON’T be paying because of this cranky activation process.