Using Cubase Pro 11 with the Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboard

Many thanks, Martin.

Hi! Thanks for everything sure i would resolve with this! unfortunately i cannot do anything right now cause im out in these few days. Ill let you know if something went wrong. Thanks again!

Hello,

If anyone who owns a PSR-SX900/700/600 or the Genos stumbles on here, the main thing about these arrangers are that they DO NOT have an audio interface via USB. The only way for audio to come out of them is from the audio outputs 1/4 outs from back of the board. The USB only transmits MIDI data. So even if you set up your SX900 as an external synth (check out how on you tube) then RENDER IN PLACE it cannot work like it would for Halion for example, or even the MODX (MODX, Montage and many workstations like the Roland Fantom Series. oh yea, so does the Yamaha MX series.). Those keyboards have audio interfaces in them. So, on those keyboards you can create on the onboard sequencer and send each or most tracks to Cubase as both a MIDI track and an Audio Track. You can set up the MODX as an external synth in Cubase, treat it just like any VST instrument, and therefore RENDER in place. Or just record each track into Cubase right out of the keyboard’s USB as audio on its own track.

So, if you can do this with the MODX, Montage or MX Series, then why not with the PSR-SX or Genos? I asked the same question when I spent $2300 on a PSR-SX900 and found this out the hard way. Apparently, Yamaha and other manufacturers see arrangers primarily as a LIVE performance tool, NOT as a production tool. So, Yamaha still does not put audio interface capabilities in their flagship arrangers. (This is my opinion)
                     **Ironically**, several of the entry/mid-level Yamaha arrangers DO have a built-in audio interface. Even more ironic-Cubase (also Studio One and many other DAWs) now feature arranger tools like Chord Track, section manipulation or arranger tracks and more. I believe they want to keep two demographics to market to-the Workstation people, and the Arranger people. If an audio interface was introduced in the flagship arranger lines, then the Genos and PSR-SX900 would directly compete with Montage and MODX. If anyone important is reading this from Steinberg/Yamaha, PLEASE stop treating your $2300 and $6000 flagship arrangers as though they are only being purchased by people who only perform instrumentals at the Holiday in on Saturdays. Let your loyal customers decide how to use them and for what. 

I purchased the SX900 for songwriting AND music production. The features, sounds, production capabilities allow for lightning-fast workflow. Add Cubase 12 to the mix and I am creating at an amazing pace. IF, **IF**the PSR-SX900 had an audio interface then it would be on like Donkey Kong-I would be moving at light-speed. Seriously. I am about to purchase, and I rather not, Komplete from Native Instruments. I am going to do this because when I create on the PSR-SX900 I will have the song as a MIDI file. I import the SMF into Cubase. Everything is fine and dandy, BUT, about 50% of the time I would like to manipulate audio-add effects, alter the audio, etc. But each track from the PSR is not audio.  So, I need a multi-timbre instrument to replace each sound in Cubase. Total bummer and time waster. You CAN record each track as audio into Cubase. But it is not easy. My other post describes this process.

So, if you can do this with the MODX, Montage or MX Series, then why not with the PSR-SX or Genos? I asked the same question when I spent $2300 on a PSR-SX900 and found this out the hard way. Apparently, Yamaha and other manufacturers see arrangers primarily as a LIVE performance tool, NOT as a production tool. So, Yamaha still does not put audio interface capabilities in their flagship arrangers. (This is my opinion)…

Ironically, several of the entry/mid-level Yamaha arrangers DO have a built-in audio interface. Even more ironic-Cubase (also Studio One and many other DAWs) now feature arranger tools like Chord Track, section manipulation or arranger tracks and more. I believe they want to keep two demographics to market to-the Workstation people, and the Arranger people. If an audio interface was introduced in the flagship arranger lines, then the Genos and PSR-SX900 would directly compete with Montage and MODX. If anyone important is reading this from Steinberg/Yamaha, PLEASE stop treating your $2300 and $6000 flagship arrangers as though they are only being purchased by people who only perform instrumentals at the Holiday in on Saturdays. Let your loyal customers decide how to use them and for what. …

I purchased the SX900 for songwriting AND music production. The features, sounds, production capabilities allow for lightning-fast workflow. Add Cubase 12 to the mix and I am creating at an amazing pace. IF, IFthe PSR-SX900 had an audio interface then it would be on like Donkey Kong-I would be moving at light-speed. Seriously. I am about to purchase, and I rather not, Komplete from Native Instruments. I am going to do this because when I create on the PSR-SX900 I will have the song as a MIDI file. I import the SMF into Cubase. Everything is fine and dandy, BUT, about 50% of the time I would like to manipulate audio-add effects, alter the audio, etc. But each track from the PSR is not audio. So, I need a multi-timbre instrument to replace each sound in Cubase. Total bummer and time waster. You CAN record each track as audio into Cubase. But it is not easy. My other post describes this process…

You can record each track from the PSR or Genos’ sequencer as audio. Just beware that it is time consuming, tedious and therefore tends to lead to mistakes and confusion such as, “did I record track 2 into Cubase already?”
Option 1: You can create a song in the PSR’s sequencer and save it as a SMF, then copy it to a memory stick. Import the SMF into Cubase, have your PSR-SX connected via USB or MIDI, keep the same song open on the PSR. Set MIDI setting to SONG and set Cubase to transmit start/stop. Connect the PSR main outs to your interface line-in. Set up a stereo track for it in Cubase and leave the monitor button on for that track. At this point the PSR only functions as a sound module. Now in order to record each track for the PSR as individual audio track…

Let’s say you want to record track one and it is electric piano. Remember, you have the entire song as a MIDI file in Cubase, but MIDI is NOT audio. Disable monitor button on the PSR audio track you just created, but don’t delete it. (Use it as a monitor of the incoming PSR mix) In Cubase, create another audio track, arm monitor and record and make sure its input is from the PSR. Now, in the PSR’s mixer for the song, tap each track’s green button until it is not green-so disable them, except for track one-e piano. If you have synced Cubase and the PSR correctly, when you press record in Cubase the PSR will play and also record the PSR’s track one only.

For however many MIDI tracks you have for the song in the PSR, you have to do this for each one, IF you want each track isolated on its own audio track in Cubase. Keep in mind, once you have the MIDI file (as a standard MIDI File) in Cubase you can do midi editing at that point. Remember the PSR in this set-up is functioning like a sound module but only coming in as an audio stereo signal. You can, and I do this often, adjust the mix/effects parameters on the PSR, do midi editing in Cubase, and then just record the entire stereo mix into Cubase on stereo track. BTW, to get a really good sound out of the PRS into Cubase try this-In the mixer set the Master EQ to flat and turn the compressor off. In the song mixer add effects, slight eq changes, etc, but only in the song mixer. Then, try Cubase’s insert/buss effects etc. Sounds amazing.

Hi, Albie.
Thanks very much for this - it’s very informative and backs up what I feared.
You and I are in exactly the same situation: we squeezed the budget to buy a PSR-SX900 on the understanding that it would interface with a DAW, just as you describe, for quick and flexible workflow. In fact, one of the Yamaha sales videos highlights its interfacing with Cubase and makes it look as though the two were designed to work hand in glove.
I have managed to find a way to work with the two, but it’s clunky and slow and doesn’t half stifle the creativity when you’re on a bit of a roll with a composition.
Like you, I am not amused about this, not least because I have splashed out so much on both keyboard and software so that I can’t change anything any time soon.
Although hardly as useful as the keyboard including an audio interface, I did ask Yamaha whether they had any plans to put all thePSR-SX900 voices into a software package so it can be used as a VST instrument (and rendered in place) in Cubase. They said they would never do that as it would be in direct competition with keyboard sales.
Let’s hope someone from Yamaha does read this forum as you put the arguments for a re-think on this so well. But I guess it’s too late for us!
Thanks again.

Rowland,
That is crazy that Yamaha won’t put the voices in a VST format because that is exactly what Roland did, and it seems they put everything available for purchase in a membership format (Fantom workstation, Jupiter synth, everything). I don’t think Roland is going out of business anytime soon. You know I almost bought a Genos. It would have been the same result-no audio interface for $6000! Well, like I said, I am going to buy Komplete from Native instruments just so I can substitute the voices quickly when I import my SMFs from the PRS-SX900. It’s such a bummer because the voices on the PSR are great…

OH! I forgot to mention, there is one way to get the PSR voices into a high-definition digital VTS format. Basically, you need a sampler like Halion 6 or Kontak form Native Instruments-Kontak is cheaper. The thing is you have to sample each voice, save it as a patch in Halion or Kontact and do this for each voice you want to have in the actual VST instrument. Of course, that’s not really practical considering there are almost 1400 voices on the PSR, and drum kits would take forever. Anyway, I’ll be doing this with a few of my most used voices and I’ll keep you updated. Take care!

Belated thanks for this suggestion, Albie. As it happens, I have just bought Halion 6. That’s a great idea - as you say, just for the most used SX-900 voices - and once I’m used to Halion 6’s sampling, I will definitely look into that!

Cheers, Rowland

Excellent Rowland! Please drop an update down the road if you have time, because I am looking forward to doing the same thing without a doubt.

In the meantime, I put my sampling on pause because I have loaded some new expansions into the SX-900 and have been using Cubase as a midi sequencer and the PSR-SX900 as a sound module with great results. But I will get Kontak or Halion 6 as well soon. BTW, the Yamaha’s expansions for the PSR-SX900 are not as abundant as the Genos, but some are really awesome; and they are free! Take care

I have used Cubasis since it was first released.Easy to figure out and it produces great sound from any audio/midi moved from the PSR 950, now an older model.

I do run through a Steinberg UR 44 for voice/guitar input.The psr sx 900 will be my next update.I used Cubase for a while but found that unless I used it a lot it was difficult to navigate.