Using meter representation to split beams

I’d like to split the beams on the second beat of bars 51 and 53. I thought that I might be able to do that in the Properties window (no success) or by setting up a custom version of 3/4 in the two bars. However, I clearly don’t have the proper syntax for that approach because I keep ending up with bars 51 and 52 getting combined into a single bar and the two 8th notes still beamed together.

Thanks!
–charlie

Select a note. Edit>Beaming>Split Beam (or Make Unbeamed, depending on your need)

Janus is right. You can set some shortcuts (I have cmd-b for beam together, alt-cmd-b for Split beam, and alt-b for unbeam) and you can also use the context menu> Beaming

Thanks Janus and Marc! a) It’s much easier than I was making it out to be; and b) I clearly need to spend some time familiarizing myself with all the operations in the various menus…something this posting clearly shows I haven’t done…:-(.

Did you perhaps use the wrong denominator? If you need to specify half a quarter note beat division, it then needs to go into eighth notes for your meter, e.g. [2+1+1+2]/8

If this pattern recurs a lot in the piece, and there’s more than one part it would affect, it might be worth inputting the hidden time signatures (and having a 3/4 for the next bar too to reset back to 3/4 grouping) as you can then select the 4 signposts and copy/paste the pattern wherever else you need it.

1 Like

FYI, this is Ravel’s Bolero.

Thanks (as always) Lillie!! I didn’t have the syntax right and I can see the advantage of setting of the pattern if it recurs so that it can be copied rather than re-defined.

And yes, rkentzman, it is indeed Ravel (bassoon part).

Since I have your attention, can you tell me how to rotate the viola notation that (I think) means to sound the doubled note on two strings, i.e. to use a double stop octave G on the D and A strings as well as sounding the open G string at the same time. I tried a couple of tweeks in Engrave mode, but haven’t cracked the code yet.
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 10.46.43 PM

Enter three different notes, say g, g, f and then raise the pitch of the f with Alt-up arrow.

Thank you! I had been approaching the problem with the thought that I’d need to have the two g’s entered in separate voices (which does not work). Clearly, entering all three in the same voice as a chord and then adjusting the f is the exact way to do it.
Very much appreciated…

To add a unison notehead you can also select a note and enter 1 in the note tools popover (Shift-I).

Thanks Mark. I couldn’t get a new unison note by entering a note, selecting it, and using Shift-I and the value 1, but it worked perfectly to enter 2 and then use option-down arrow to move the new note into the correct position, so essentially the solution from rkrentzman.

That’s strange; it works for me. I wonder what we are doing differently.