Using multiple audio interfaces

I have tried searching for info on this but it seems there is very limited info on this subject, so I’m hoping someone can provide some input.

I’m currently running Cubase AI 9.5 with a UR44. I would like to add 1-2 more UR44 unit(s) or perhaps a combo of 1x UR824 to my 1 x UR44 to my system to expand it to allow live recording of my band and other recording projects.

I have read one post where the poster says Cubase will only allow him to select 1 interface at a time of the two he has connected to his system. A response to that post, there is possibly a third party driver that allows multiple audio interfaces.

so questions are…

Is anyone using multiple audio interfaces with Cubase? primarily to increase the amount of physical inputs

perhaps this ability is version specific like Pro or something?

Anyways I am right at the start of upgrading my studio from Cubasis on my ipad to Cubase on my laptop. I am trying Cubase AI as I got a free copy of it with my UR44. before I commit dollars for the pro ver I want to know I can expand primarily (at this stage) physical inputs up to 12-16.

any thoughts and experiences you can share I would be muchly appreciative… thanks in advance

Rob

Hi,

It’s not possible to use multiple ASIO driver in one application (in general).

If you are on Mac, the workaround is to make a Aggregate Device. Be aware, this is not officially supported (by any DAW vendor).

If you are on Windows, you can use ASIO4ALL and “glue” all ASIO drivers with it. Then use ASIO4ALL as your ASIO driver in Cubase. Be aware, ASIO4ALL is not Steinberg dedicated driver, and you can loose some unique Steinberg features.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Martin… just looked at your website… man you are a busy boy!!!

Currently on a windows machine but along with upgrading my studio I will be migrating over Mac

ok I was going to ask another Q but I kinda found the answer… get a bigger audio interface, with more inputs like a Tascam US 16x08 USB.
Are you able to suggest something that works well with Cubase in the 12-16 input range?

would have rather have stuck with a product from Steinberg.

anyways thanks again

Rob

Yes, Cubase Pro can work with up to 256 Inputs.

From Cubase point of view it doesn’t matter if you use String or 3rd party audio device.

How do you glue the asio drivers?! I’m trying to get the input from my Behringer UMC sound card and output to be from my laptops own sound card, because I want to play guitar trough it so it goes to my bluetooth speaker :smiley:

Hi,

If you are on Windows, use ASIO4ALL.

What about using Yamaha Montage M alongside UA Apollo x8 in Cubase 13?

I’m coming from MOTU Digital Performer 11 on Mac and you can shift-select more than one audio interface. My Montage M is connected to the Mac via USB and the Yamaha Steinberg Audio/MIDI driver. It gives me the ability to record the Montage output digitally into a DAW.

I’m trying out the Cubase 13 Pro demo, considering switching from DP but I’ve got to retain the ability to have both my Apollo and Montage M I/O simultaneously connected or it’s a deal-breaker! Frankly I’ll be very surprised if an advanced program like Cubase won’t allow it.

Please advise and thank you
Greg

Crickets—nobody has any insight on my post above?

As mentioned in this thread and many threads before this, you can set up an “aggregate audio device” in macOS to combine multiple audio interfaces.

Thank you for responding–yes, I saw the aggregate audio device solution, but there were caveats attached. Just wanted to confirm there is no official procedure to select more than one I/O from inside Cubase. This is disappointing, as Digital Performer allows shift/selection of multiple audio I/O from within its Hardware Setup.

Cubase is touted to be much more advanced, and from my first glances it appears to be, except for this glaring omission.

Further surprising and disappointing because Steinberg is the OE supporter of the Yamaha Steinberg Audio driver which allows the Montage to transfer audio/MIDI to the computer via USB.

Thank you.