Using my keyboard synthesizer with Cubase 9

To my understanding, Cubase Pro 9 is a 64-bit application only. I have a Yamaha Motif XS6 that I purchased back in 2008 that still play awesome midi sounds. Would I still be able to transfer/play midi on the Cubase Pro 9 using USB to Host transfer from my keyboard?

Or do I have to buy a modern keyboard synthesizer and now my keyboard is useless.

Hi,

Provided you have a MIDI interface that can talk to the Motif, it should work just fine within Cubase. The 64-bit is for plug-ins, but a physical MIDI keyboard or Rack unit controlled by a MIDI keyboard controller should be fine. Good luck.

Remember that if you want to use the Motif as a controller keyboard to turn off Local Control (in the Motif) to prevent double triggering of notes.

Also, I looked under “External Devices” and there is a setup for Motif. Maybe that will help, too.

Also, don’t forget to set the Motif so MIDI comes out via “USB” rather than via “MIDI”. The latter sends the signal out via the 5-pin DIN pin.

FWIW, I’m using my 2001 Motif to do this, no prob.

You’ll want to find a “patch script” file to load up in Cubase (on line) so you can scroll all the Motif XS6 patches from within Cubase.