Using VST System Link with Behringer X32 to run a 2nd PC hosting VST Instruments

Hi all,

I would like to extend my cubase Pro 11 / Beringher X32 Rack setup with an additional PC that would run the heavy consuming VST intruments.

I understand that the link will be done thru connecting ‘numeric ports’ between both PCs. Ok
The XR32 is used as my Cubase Sound Card : it has an AES50 socket

I am now considering to purchase a card to be added on PC #2 (that hosts the vst instruments).
Looking in the internet, AES50 interfaces are kind of expensive (350€+)

Do I really need an AES50 interface on PC#2, or is it possible to use a cheaper card that has an sp-dif port for instance? Will this work?
If not, what do you suggest ?
Thanks a lot
Eric

Are you talking about VST System Link?

The devices have to be connected by a digital cable, so I presume it would have to be the same type of socket on both ends, and the X32 doesn’t have spdif built in.

The requirements are here: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206112704-VST-System-Link-VSL-

Hi Steve,

I have been reading in the internet that, in general, connecting AES50 to spdif is possible and even such cable exist. My point is that I don’t want to purchase a card and maybe special cable, spend 2 months trying this out to finally find out that it does not work properly, thus my question to ‘real world’ Cubase users with experience.

Else, does anyone have connected 2 PC with X32 ? Which card/device is used in with the other PC ?

Thanks
eric

System Link is not very forgiving from an “engineering” standpoint, so even if you found or made such a cable, there would still be differences that could make it impossible to use.

Here’s an article that talks about the signal format.

I see, kind of risky. On the other side, the only viable alternative I have found is the Klark Teknik KT-AES50 card that costs =~ 400 euros.
Do you personnally use VST system link and which hardware in between?
Thanks bunches
Eric

Years ago, I played with it. What I took away from it was that the best way to do it was with two identical audio interfaces with digital I/O.

This is older technology today, and there are cheaper ways to do the same thing.

I edited the title of this topic to attract replies from people with your gear, by the way. But I think fewer people use VST System Link now than back-in-the-day.

1 Like

Steve, I am keen on learning from you what are those cheaper ways to achieve the same goal. I am not stuck on using this way if I can use cheaper (and simpler) ways to drive my vst instruments on the second PC.
Technology evolves, not always the best way, but if it does, let’s use it
Thanks
eric

1 Like

Usually, people use Vienna Ensemble Pro for “outsourcing” VSTis to a different computer nowadays (list price is like 200 bucks, and you only need ethernet cables to connect your computers…)

1 Like

AES/EBU is a very different protocol to AES50. AES/EBU is 2 channel digital audio and is compatible with SPDIF. AES is pretty much a balanced version of SPDI F and also at +4db ( I think) - you can usually plug an AES output into an SPDIF input if you ground Pin 3 on the XLR. May not work the other way around as the level may be too high.
AES50 is Behringer and others multi channel digital audio - completely different protocol

1 Like

If you want to try the above direct cable solution but are only missing an s-pdif output, then I have the cheapest s-ˆdif output solution for you: $12 !

I use it to connect my PC to my Neumann KH750DSP sub and the sub then drives a pair of KH80DSP.
It works great and keeps my signal path purely digital right down to the sub… for $12!

1 Like

This likely will not work though for VST System Link.

1 Like

Steve were you referring to Vienna Ensemble Pro ?

Thanks fese,

I am gonna check this solution. Apparently I need to install 1 license for the server, + one ‘cheaper’ license on the VST clients, correct ?

Yes, also Audiogridder, though I have not used that.

1 Like

Great

I am gonna investigate in that field!
Will try to come back with feedback for community
Thanks a lot!
Take care
Eric

Hey if you’re not hooked up to USB, that may be an option. I just sync’ed 2 mac’s VSL with a Presonus Studiolive 32sx via USB and AVB. So, it is possible.
B)
Shane

@scharters7381 Are you actually using VST System Link?

Yes, I have been for the last year or so. I have my drums and bass on one, and EG, Synth and Vocals on another.

That’s weird, you mention AVB, which is not VST System Link.

What cable, may I ask, have you run from audio device 1 to audio device 2?

Hey Steve,
AVB is an Ethernet Protocol. Since it’s digital, it is eligible to use VSL. Mac1 (M1) is on AVB while M2 is on USB. Both run to and from the 32sx. It should be possible on the Behringer. Some configuring and patience are required to go through the process, which usually involves tracing signal to establish a solid connection.
B)
Shane