Using with live performances

Hi!

I am looking to possibly buy Cubasis if this can be accomplished.

I am looking for something to use that can play drum and backing tracks from my iPad while my band plays. Basically what I am trying to do is route separate tracks from the DAW out from the iPad to something that would recognize the tracks as separate tracks. That way I can have each track separated and not mix into one mess. The reason is I wont to be able to have one separate click track going into ear monitors and not through the PA. Would this app be able to do all this? If so, TAKE MY MONEY! Lol. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I can’t help with your specific question, but what I and many others do is just use a stereo audio file with a mono mix of the backing tracks in one channel and the click in the other. Mono usually works better at most live venues anyway since most of the audience will be out of the stereo sweet spot.

I may be wrong but I don’t think that Cubasis supports more than two outputs. So you would be limited to a mono track and a click track. Like the other guy said that is how a lot of bands do it, but if you were going to go that route then I would use the app Go Button. Cubasis 3 is definitely not stable enough right now for a live environment, it crashes a lot and has a ton of bugs. If you want multiple track outputs for a band in a live setting though, I would recommend to use QLab. It is a Mac only program but it is definitely the best program to use, and is widely used in the professional world.

Hi Lordabyss,

Cubasis supports up to 24 inputs and outputs, based on the capabilities of the audio device in use.
In addition, the metronome can be routed to individual outputs too.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Lars

Hi Lars and Forum

This is something I want to do also, I want use an IPad Mini 4 and Cubasis to #play live with a backing track#. I have a small mixing desk, so I’m interested to know how I would output the 24 outputs from Cubasis via UR22 or something else ( which has usb) to a small mixing desk, then to a PA system. Forgive me if this is a daft question, but it would be great to know from the people off this forum what is the best setup and how I can, and should do it.

Or maybe there’s a link someone could send me too, if this question has already been answered. I have seen the requests for MIDI control of Cubasis via foot switches so there are gigers using some sort of setup.

Tie’d in with this question, is what’s the best way to send finished files from Cubase Pro back to Cubasis, I suppose you need to decide if you only need to play the finished file minus your singing or other instrument parts?

Appreciate everybody’s help.

Dave

Hi @Dave73,

Thanks for your message!

so I’m interested to know how I would output the 24 outputs from Cubasis via UR22 or something else

Cubasis supports up to 24 inputs and outputs. Here, the number of available inputs and outputs depends on the audio device in use.

what’s the best way to send finished files from Cubase Pro back to Cubasis

You are able to open Cubasis projects with Cubase via the freely downloadable Cubasis Project Importer extension. To import files from Cubase and/or other DAWs in Cubasis, please create audio and MIDI STEMs in the DAW of your choice.

Hope that helps to answer your questions!

Stay safe and sound
& all the best for 2022!
Lars

Thank you Lars for your reply, I checked the link out, I see you are referring to putting Cubase finished files back into Cubasis, I have done it the other way, zipping up Cubasis files and sending to Cubase, I will give it a go. I was hoping for some “best connecting up advice”, so I can get the best from Cubasis and my iPad in a live situation. I think as someone suggested playing live ,send the whole mixed file to mono connections to a PA. I would connect IPad to UR22, then to Small Mixing Desk, out to a PA. One addition if you have a suggestion, was to try and use a lyric prompt on the iPad somehow connected to Cubasis playing a file, is that possible, is there anything available? I have found a message on here to some Lyric Software, but it suggests putting the audio or finished file into their software and attaching lyrics to the audio file/ files.

Happy New Year to you and the Cubasis Team

Dave

Hi @Dave73,

Thanks for your message and our best wishes to a happy and healthy new year 2022!

There was a small typo in my reply, which hopefully did not lead to full confusion at your end.

The “Cubasis Project Importer” lets you load Cubasis projects with Cubase. Loading Cubase projects with Cubasis is not supported. However, you’re able to batch export stems from within Cubase, to be re-imported with Cubasis.

As to the mixing question: Cubasis supports up to 24 ins/outs, the actual number of available inputs/outputs is limited by the audio device in use.

Regarding your question to display lyrics:
Cubasis includes a “Notepad” option per track, which can be find in the inspector to the left. Please check out for yourself, if this would work for you to display the lyrics.

If not, we recommend to browse the App Store for available apps, which support the feature.

Hope that helps
& stay safe,
Lars

@Dave73 ,

I love Cubasis as an iPad DAW.

That said, for backing tracks, displaying your score and controlling set lists/songs/scenes, you may be pushing this wonderful app outside of its areas of strength.

May I suggest you look at other tools like Camelot Pro, Band Helper or OnSong?

For example, Camelot Pro is designed as a performance controller. You can relatively easily have it control the midi settings of your music hardware and VST’s, automate backing track playback and display your score.

You could use a tool like Camelot Pro with stems and full backing tracks you’ve built in Cubasis.

I hope that helps!