Using Zoom H5 as interface

Hello evertbody, I’ve found a couple of issues when using my Zoom H5 Handy Recorder as interface using Cubase Pro 9.5 that I want to share with you. First there’s a mode in the interface called “Loop Back” that in the manual is explain exactly this way:

When in STEREO mode, you can mix the sound from the computer or iPad with the sound input through the H5 and send it back to the computer or iPad again (loop back).
This can be used, for example, to add narration to a musical backing track playing on a computer, and then record it using software on the computer or stream it live via the Internet.

I’m trying to do this through Cubase but every time that I switch to the Cubase window whatever that I’m listening with any other software (I’ve tried many of them Spotify, Youtube, Foobar, VLC, Window Media Player…) just stops and that software always shows an error. The only thing that I’ve tried that I thought it could make any sense was to enable the “Release driver when application is in background” option. Any idea about this?

Also I use the recorder as “multitrack” (this is a feature that you can choose on the device when you connect it to the computer) and when opening Cubase it appears as the Line In 1 and Line In 2 as “inactive”. I suspect this is an issue with the interface itself but it’s worth mentioning just in case there’s something that I can do with Cubase to fix it.

Thank you very much, I’m very excited of reading your replies.

Hi,

As I have learned here on the forum, lots of users have an issues with Zoom driver. Therefore I would recommend to use ASIO4ALL instead the native driver.