Utilizing a second computer

Ok, i just built a new 6 Core i7 5820K computer and i also have an i7 860 based. The 860 will be collecting
dust most likely or go to garbage…how can i utilize that computer with Cubase and Plugins? Is there a way?

Here are the systems now:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window Edition (with 3 Fans)
MOBO: ASUS SaberTooth X99 USB 3.1
GFX: ASUS GTX 960 Strix OC Edition 2GB
CPU: Intel I7 5820K
RAM: 4x8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series, PC4 21300
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S (1Fan)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 650
Storage:

1. SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D
  2. SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D
  3. SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D
  4. WD BLACK SERIES 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
    CD/DVD/BD: LG Black 16X

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower,
CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz,
MoBo: ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0,
GFX: MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5,
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB 1600 (PC3 12800),
CPU HS: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler,
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3,
Studio-HDD: WD Black 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s,
Data-HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5",
OS-HDD: WD Green 320GB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s,
ODD: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner AD-7261S-0B LightScribe,

Thanks

You can connect them in two most common ways:

1. Ethernet
    An ethernet cable between the two will connect them. If you want both computers in your music production you need to invest in some software to connect them “musically”. Look into VePro.

2. VST link
    Here you need a sound card in each computer with digital output. You also need a Cubase license on each, however not necessarily the same level. (I am connecting 8 and 4,5 this way). Look into the manual how to synchronize the two.

The advantage of two computeres are:
More CPU power for heavy projects (go for 1)
Utilize plugins that only run on older OS (go for 2)

Thanks RumDrum.
I am not new to Networking but i am new to using Network as in Music. Option 1 you mentioned is what
i want. Using it simply as raw power processing for some FX. I can get any software, that’s not an issue.
But i do have some questions and guesses please if you can ever respond:

1. VEPro i know can be authorized on both machines but i will still need a monitor for that computer
    after all is set up, right? It can not be just a blind machine turned on…as far as i understand.
  2. VEPro on that machine will simply run in standalone, plugins will be opened in VEPro and my new
    computer will just connect to them while them being processed by the old computer.
  3. The plugins that i choose to run on that machine, i know they have to be installed there which means
    based on the Activation/License method of the plugin some HAVE to be exclusive to that computer only
    if there is no way to get 2 licenses for those plugins, to have them on both.
  4. Can i have 2 iLoks and 2 eLicensers but not containing the same licenses because if i split the plugins
    that way it will need 2 of each, lets say i need SS VCC on my old machine and EWQL on the other, both
    run on iLok…i guess i can have 2 iLoks but not overlaping licenses.

And the most important question of all: Will the i7 860 System give me some real extra Juice?
The question it self is contradicting since i used that 860 for actually running everything in it and it was fine.

Thanks
Nedim

Question 1: Yes you need to see (on a monitor) which plugs you are loading into Vepro and you need to see how to open VePro. Many monitors have 2 or more plugs for connecting 2 PCs and a switch on the front for each computer.
Question 2: Yes. Plugins on your “slave/old computer” will operate as they were on your new computer but they actually run on the old cpu power
Question 3: Yes, however many plugs let you run them on multiple computers, or at least two or three. i.e can be authorized on two computers (or more).
Question 4: Yes: You can have as many iLok as you want and only a few licenses on each to your own liking. As long as the license is unique you can place them on any iLok, even if they are from the same vendor.

Final question: YES it definitely will! However: There are several ways to optimize a computer to run better and utilize all cores, depending on the software you are running. There is also “smart” and “not so smart” disc management, and there is the size of memory in the main computer. If your new machine is optimized in all possible ways, I think the only time you will be needing the extra computer is on real heavy projects. This can be like classical music with a lot of tracks and heavy instrument samplings, or other heavy samplings like some of the Kontakt, Omnisphere or PLAY samples. You should dig into VePero forum for enlightenment! For a “normal” rock or EDM project you won’t be needing the old computer. And btw Vepro is a better method of running older 32 bit software than jBridge, however operating two computers is more cumbersome that having it all on one.

Your music will not be playing any faster with two computers! That is bpm! :slight_smile:

Thanks…actually yes, i was looking at new egg now for a KBM Switch.
Now, i utilize a lot of samples and other stuff, i own all of EWQL. I do also a lot of Epic
Sample based music ala Holywood Orchestra e tc…was thinking of actually running all
the Reverbs and Preamps on the old machine. Both machines are optimized.

Thanks

To save having 2 monitors or a KVM switch you could simply Remote Desktop into the slave machine, another advantage being the machine doesn’t even have to be in close proximity then.

Yes. I have heard that it can even work through WIFI, but have not tested it myself. I have the computers close myself and to me it is more convenient to switch the monitor and have a separate keyboard and mouse. Established workflow I guess.

Looooooollllll Richard…wtf…i even have my computers on remote desktop and never thought of it.
It works perfectly fine ahahahaha.l DAMN. I just thought of another thing/problem that might arise
later on doing this configuration. Lets say my old computer gives up later on. Those projects also
depend on it…then i either have to REMIX on the new one or i have to actually keep repairing and
maintaining the old computer too…just another thought.

It is ALWAYS a good thing to render to audio both dry and wet. Sooner or later your used instruments and plugs will be obsolete even on your main computer.

You are right about it.

I gotta mention this, someone somewhere just mentioned that using VEP in the same computer
as Cubase 8 will still give you a better performance if you load the FX in VEP…which kinda
makes sense. In VEP you can assign cores per instances. Does not have performance issues like
C8 does…so it kinda makes sense to me…hhmmm?

That used to be true, especially in the days when it could operate in a 64 bit environment while Cubase was still 32 bit (memory, not core addressing, but better performance), but now with modern computers and Cubase 8, it is not true anymore as you can do the same core allocation in Cubase/plugins, a little more obscure though. But learning how the different plugins addresses the cores is of importance.