Vari audio UPGRADE to the next level

+1 vote. yes please. :slight_smile:
add a vocalign function,
add choose a scale for correction,
add correction for polyphonic material, like in melodyne.

Hey, hey…!!

Loving all these extra ideas for VA improvements guys… :wink:

I will add ‘missing’ ones to my list for VariAudio 2.x future wishes, soon:-

(maybe I should be making it attached to the C-Pro 8 Feature Request pages now…?)

@alexis - no, they haven’t brought the info detail that used to be displayed ‘inside’ the segment back yet. It is sorely missed…! The InfoLine readout up top is absolutely NO substitute - eyeballs bouncing back and forth, from where you are working, up to the top again, down, then up again… oh goodness, it hurts…

@amuzic - great ideas; furthering your point a little, I would also like Melodyne’s ability to start (stop) playback when double-clicking in any empty space; and I do not want to have the global preference to ‘Locate in Empty Space’ enabled to help with this. There would be no more aiming high up for that (yes, narrow…!) timeline header, to choose a place for starting playback.

@GargoyleStudio and @alexis - yes…! That shift of focus when you use the speaker icon - annoying…

And I too think SB should somehow do away with the ‘two-modes’ concept entirely. SmartTools are the way forward (again, look at Melodyne).

Good luck to us…!

Cheers,
Bob

ARA, please!

+1 ARA would be great!!!

Mike.

Yes Vocalign and pencil tool to draw in pitch like waves tune would be awesome !!

Can draw in pitch with Waves Tune? Holy cow, I did not think anybody let us do that.

Have to check it out …

Thanks for the word!

Checked it out … I see how a vibrato can be added in Waves Tune with a series of controls like depth, attack, etc., …

but I did not see anything in the youtubes that showed a pencil tool to draw in pitch. Would you give a link by any chance please that illustrates that?

It drives me crazy that I can’t use a tool modifier key to cut segments in “Pitch and Warp” Mode. It would be great to be able to hold down control and click to cut the segments, rather than having to constantly mouse over to the left and switch between the two modes.

+1

Benji

“It drives me crazy that I can’t use a tool modifier key to cut segments in “Pitch and Warp” Mode. It would be great to be able to hold down control and click to cut the segments, rather than having to constantly mouse over to the left and switch between the two modes.”

Me too

Fambi

Yep me too! That’s one thing, the other is that it seems to become very slow when you’re dealing with a large project even if you’re not editing a large audio sample.

Mike.

looks like sonar now has a custom ‘vocalign’ feature…

Whoah, that really does look like a good implementation. I think the probability of this coming along in the next release just went up :slight_smile:

I do spend a lot of time working manually on BVs and doubled parts, and its a lot quicker in PT using VocAlign but not such a good implementation as Cakewalk are showing there. Its almost worth buying it just to do vocal alignment!

Mike.

Don’t forget, you can use the TAB key to quickly switch between modes. :wink:

But, I’m all for streamlining the process - do away with the two ‘modes’ all together; provide better tools (SmartTool or extended Toolbox with appropriate modifiers) to help achieve this.

(Oh my god…! I’ve just seen the new VocalSync feature update in the new Sonar. Wow…!! Very nicely done Cakewalk)

Thanks for posting this Lukas.

This looks excellent; a really nicely thought out implementation, on the face of it. God, would love to see something like this in Cubase - like, err, now…!! :slight_smile:

We can say Celemony has been a bit quiet of late - I bet they have something of this covered in their next major update of Melodyne (and then probably only available in the Editor edition…)

Bob

PS:- don’t want to go near Cakewalk’s new subscription, sorry, ‘membership’ model though.

Revoice Pro brings a lot more to the table in terms of vocal alignment than Sonar, at least based on the video, things like (and there are probably more I can’t think of right now): creating protective zones to exclude alignment in some areas (the process shown in the Sonar video doesn’t work well when the two vocals are significantly different, like if there were a breath, or a different voicing like an extra syllable, in one vs. the other); automating the degree of alignment; processing multiple tracks at once, and others.

Also, it can create the double track from the guide vocal in the first place (with results ranging from “very tight pitch and harmony double” to “very loose …”. To my ears, so far, the double tracks it creates sound better in the mix than solo’d, I’m working with support to see if that is something I’m not doing right or not. For comparison, my TC Helicon VoiceOne box creates double tracks that sound good even when solo’d.

Revoice Pro requires an iLok.

I’d guess they (Syncro Arts) are a good 3-4 years ahead of Sonar in this, and since this is all they do, they probably will always be at least somewhat ahead.

I’m happy I got it! Still evaluating it though …

+1 for one mode streamlined with modifiers or at least modifiers. Thankfully the tab is there I use that constantly and would go crazy without it.

Here’s to hoping "“Straighten Pitch” and “Quantize Pitch” can be linked to CC messages in the future.

I too would love ARA implementation since I use Melodyne frequently and have already paid for it (go Sonar with the ARA and Vocal alignment).

P.S. By the way the subscription model they have lets you keep everything you have so more like the Waves model they moved to 4 or 5 years ago.

+1 Celemony ARA!

+1 for the vocalign thing. I just can’t count the hours spent on aligning overdub lines. Huge time saver imo.

yep.

the lack of vocalign-alikes, until now that sonar came out with their version, made me belive synchroarts have an intellectual monopoly on algorithms that do auto-aligning well (and hence the ridiculous price of their product). now that sonar has it, it’s a definite +1 for cubase (although realistically it’s more likely to appear as a nuendo function as it’s the logical complement to its ADR functionality).

Don’t think its ‘automatic’ in Sonars version… I did watch the video demo and they do use the word a lot - maybe I missed something, but I saw them manually adjusting the time-stretch parameters for a given piece of audio, against a chosen reference track. Tweaking the on-screen knob sets how close you want the ‘match’ to be… There’s no one-button and Bingo, all the works done, as far as I can tell.

Don’t get me wrong - it looks a really slick implementation; visually and workflow…! Maybe if SynchroArts does do some automatic ‘space-magic’ stuff to line things up itself, then thats where the money goes… :slight_smile:

+1