VariAudio: How do you save your work in it?

Forgive the noob question here but I have looked the Op Manual over, YouTube videos and searched here. The only thing I find is a reference here about bouncing.

So my question is, I go into VariAudio, make some edits and the close out the sample window. I go back in later and all edits were as if I never made them. Is there a hidden save function or something?

Please let me know how this is supposed to be done,

Thanks,
LB

Just save the project. VariAudio adjustments are saved with the project.

I must be doing something wrong as I did as you suggested prior to posting. In fact I cut my target audio track up into 6 parts of about 30 seconds each. I then worked on part 1, 2, 3, etc and after I was done I saved the Cubase project before closing the Sample Editor, then saved again once I closed the sample editor and section I was working on. After that I moved onto the next segment repeating the dual save process each time.

I cannot recall what the message said but I had a decision to make when starting the VariAudio process. I believe I said to create new files. Is that the problem possibly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is really bad news to spend a lot of time editing the sections then come to find they were not saved. Could it be the procedure for doing the save is in the sample editor section of the OP Manual? I mainly looked over the section on VariAudio and saw nothing about saving your work or edits.

Thanks,
LB

Hi LB,

here some background.

When you start working with VariAudio and you have cut the track in to parts, the WAV file is still there in its full length. Variaudio wants you to decide if it should create a copy before you start making changes to that segment.
I’m usually cutting a long (vocal) track in to segments and then render them all again so now I have several shorter WAV files on the HDD. Then I open the editor by double clicking on the first segment I want to work with.

After you have made adjustments to the segment (or derived an additional backing vocal from it :wink: ) you can render that segment directly from the editor (the last tab on the left is Process - click on it and a button will show up showing two warped arrows - click on that too) and the modifications will be processed and fixed.

This will release processor load since now you have a rendered segment.

If you don’t process the changes, Cubase will have a lot to calculate on playback if you have many such unrendered pitched segments in paralel tracks. This could push the processor to its limits.

One more thing. If you want to derive a set of backing vocals from one single vocal track, you should not only copy the segment to new tracks, you should redner them all again. Otherwise you risk that the pitch change on one track will affect all other derived tracks since they all point at the same WAV file. Make yourself familiar with the non-distructive philosophy of Cubase - which is a great thing but it might face you with some unexpected effects or behaviour as long as you have not understould how that all works and why that happens. Be aware that copying tracks, track segments, parts and parts segments will not create new files, it only creates pointers to files. New files are only created when you render the tracks and parts (segments).

Best regards

Zibin

Hi,
Thanks so much for the information and your response!

I had already cut up my vocal track into parts.
Now I have heard about “rendering” before, am not 100% sure how to do this. Is that done within VariAudio when it first opens the part? Or is that done before you ever enter the part? If the later is that also called “bounce”?

Ok, though I may not have prepped the file properly by “rendering” them in the first place, But I tried this per your instructions. It processed the part and then I closed the sample editor. Then I opened the part back up in the sample editor. When I clicked on Pitch and Warp it reanalyzed the part. In looking at the part it reverted back to its original form. Thus I am doing something wrong I think.

Gotcha, just working on getting to this point.

Per above not sure exactly how to get there but this makes perfect sense to me. Excellent explanation of 1 file having many pointers to it.

Thanks and if by chance you can answer in more detail about my questions above I would be most grateful.

LB

I had already cut up my vocal track into parts.
Now I have heard about “rendering” before, am not 100% sure how to do this. Is that done within VariAudio when it first opens the part? Or is that done before you ever enter the part? If the later is that also called “bounce”?

Yea, you want to use the “bounce” function. I have assigned it to Alt+B as a key command but I think I customized that long ago. Anyway, bounce the sections you want to use VariAudio on first.
When you are done, go to the process tab in the editor…use the flatten function. I use Nuendo so I hope the terms are the same.

Hi LB
I was very busy, sorry. I will come back to you latest on the weekend.
Where are you located (country)? Im located in Germany.

BR

Bernd

Thanks for the scoop… I was pretty sure I was translating the terms right but I have tried so many things to get this to save the edits that I wanted to be sure. Just now I was working on some vocals in VariAudio and did the bounce, edit, flatten routine and it seems to be working ok. That is good news as it had me spinning my wheels for a bit. I think the OP docs could do a better job on this procedure. In the sample editor section it does mention flatten but I am not sure where in the heck it might say you should bounce the track part before you open in the Sample Editor.

So if I bounce, edit and then flatten. Close out the Sample Editor and then want to go back and edit some more. Do I just do the whole routine over again? Have I burned any bridges?

Thanks,
LB

Oh no problem. If my last post is correct then I might be in good shape on this end.
BTW, I live in the USA, very near where Hendrix was born…

LB