VCA Faders vs Group Channels

Nothing new I would say.
Coming from the analog world, bussing to an actual audio path (like outputing to another channel with the matrix on a SSL) vs remoting faders via another fader has nothing in common. VCA does not carry audio signal.

I still use cubase 6.5 for some GUI reason,I hate the new one. there is no VCA style faders BUT…
I will give you THE trick that will do exactly the same thing And you can cascade/nest the remote faders:

1. create a dummy midi file or a dummy mono track
  2. name it like “DRUMS VCA” give it a dedicated color to make it pop out from others
  3. select all the tracks to link + the dummy midi/audio track you just created
  4. alt click or ctrl click (don’t remember) then right click ‘link tracks’

now, if you move the midi track, you can remotely control the other tracks like a Cubase19.5 fancy VCA fader lol
If you want to record automation, WRITE all automation on all linked track, then READ.

hope it helps

Hi dyrec,

nice tip but not exactly the same like VCA Fader.

Example:

VCA Volume Automation: on the VCA linked track with existing automation the VCA automation and the existing automation will be combined … but it does not overwrite your automation.

Your Automation: the existing automation will be simply overwritten.

Greetings

Alex

Ah … and a good youtube video too here (Volume Automation with VCA) … you can’t do that with linking or whatever else :wink:

I can’t see anything there what can’t be done with groups (unless you have level-dependent plugins in channels’ post-fader insert slots).

They have something in common: with both you can control the level of combined signal of channels (but in different way). Of course in analog world there is a bigger difference, since groups/busses are not transparent but add distortion/noise. But this is not the case with floating-point DAW.

Nitpicking: VCAs (Voltage Controlled Amplifiers) do carry audio signal. Faders controlling VCAs don’t.

Absolutely sir :wink: