Thanks for the response. So I thought another problem arose from this, in that the MIDI notes were all shifted up a third (example, the sound that was on C4 was being sounded when playing E4). On a side note, it looks like the VDL documentation calls “C4,” “C3,” but that is not the issue here.
So another user pointed out that in preferences, under “note input and editing,” I needed to change the “input onto kit or grid” from “use staff position” to “use percussion map.” That fixed the MIDI input- all of the notes are now being written and sounding correctly when I play it on my MIDI keyboard in “write” mode.
In terms of the routing, in the article, the screenshots they showed just showed port 1 and channel 1 being taken up by the “rack combo” instrument, it actually didn’t show anything in the other slots and channels, so I wasn’t sure what to do. For the expression map, it showed in the article to keep it as “default.”
I attached screenshots just to show what I did based off of your advice. In the “endpoint” screenshot, this is what it looked like after I changed all of the instruments to channel 1, which is shown in the “channel” screenshot. Those other instruments are now gone, and this is what the screenshot in the article looked like. Thanks again!