Velocity change made in Editor doesn't affect the playback

I am trying to adjust some notes velocity in the Key Editor, but no matter which change I make, the playback velocity isn’t changing. I m using the Josha Bell violin instrument with the expression Map I found on the forum. The playback is great, except that I cannot change some note velocities. Is there some setting I should be aware of?

Check the Expression map you’re using. Is Velocity used, or are CC1 and CC11? I expect Velocity to be used with pizz. sounds, while Longs should be controlled through CC1 and CC11. It’s totally normal that changing a parameter that is not used by your VSTi does not change its output.

Thanks, Marc. I have to dive into creating maps really soI know how to get instruments play back correctly. I will check out the videos on this. I have made them a lot in Logic in the past so I should be able to pick this up fast.

I worked the whole day on adjusting the Expression map, which is different from the one that I found in the Forum, maybe because I am using the Joshua Bell Essentials and not the full Instrument library.

I still cannot get the velocity setting to work though. Now when I change a note velocity in the Key editor and then click on that note, the correct velocity is being played, But when I let Dorico play the note, again the velocity value is ignored. I don’t know where I have to adjust this in the Expression Map editor to make this work. Any suggestions?

Ok, I figured out why the velocities aren’t playing back, it’s because in this library all the dynamics are being adjusted with CC 11! Good to know this for the next time when I have this same problem.

1 Like