Velocity edit... Why oh why?

First of all a massive congratulations on the new update and I hope you all take a very deserved rest! I am now fully on board Dorico and will start to recommend it to colleagues! As someone pointed out in another thread, Dorico is indeed now ready for prime time. Now to some negativity, but bare in mind, I say this with a big smile and gratitude for this great update.

Why oh why was edit velocity not included? Don’t answer, I understand… Too many priorities. But it feels like such a shame because you came so, so close to giving me (personally) a fully working program to do ALL my work with. In the past month I have become so adept at:

• Editing MIDI CC (thanks to discovering the open New Window for my other monitor)

• Adding Keyswitches on the fly by assigning a shortcut to Add Staff Below - Hide staff

• Tweaking the humanise dynamics and timings

• Quickly swapping from Draw to Object Select and adjusting timing and positions of individual notes

But no matter how much I tweak the Velocity Curve in Dorico or in the sampler I cannot get the right interpretation out of it, but what really saddened me was the announcement that this would be the last update for Dorico 2. Oh well, in the spirit of Daniel’s brilliant poem:

…“I have chosen as well as I could,” the Saint said,
"And there is much to enjoy here, from A up to Z.
But if your wish is not met on this happy new morn,
Don’t act all surly, all mad, or forlorn.

“The team has worked hard as their minds would allow,
And e’en your wish not be met in the here and the now,
Know that our future efforts will not diminish,
And all wishes will be met 'fore we come to the finish.”

I will leave my thoughts and feelings here in the hopes that at least it will make it to the next iteration…

And congratulations again, incredible work!

plus one re: note velocity

As as substitute, I save out a separate copy of the score marking it up with oh-so-many dynamics instructions to direct playback interpretation in Noteperformer.

It’s a bit tedious and that “playback” score is a very different thing from the score directed towards humans.

Perhaps there’s a better way… but that’s how I’ve compensated for not having note velocity control.

I’d love to hear a smarter way to go about it…

Jack

Of course we plan to add velocity editing as soon as we can. Paul was absolutely run off his feet working on MIDI recording, the click track, and improvements to MIDI transcription, so it was a bonus that he was able to get other little things like support for multiple MIDI ports etc. into this release. But we will certainly add this in future, as well as a better way of adding notes and other MIDI data that you don’t want to appear in Write mode.

Congrats on this massive update!! I will also eagerly await direct, individual note velocity editing in the Piano Roll (for hopefully the near future) since this is one of the most common editing I actually do when optimizing especially a piano performance (will happily pay for this after all of the other incredible improvements, if need be).
Best -

• D.D.

I would welcome being able to insert midi CC commands directly into the score in WRITE mode, as long as you could then hide them. I am patiently hoping that overall playback improvements will be the next focus for the team in the next paid update. The velocity curve does not work that well for me either - I would like the option of adding a velocity range of my choosing for the various dynamic markings, for example PP = 30, P = 50 etc…That would enable more precise calibration for different sample libraries with different velocity structures. Also being able to adjust crescendos and diminuendos, rits and accels in terms of the percentage change would be extremely useful. I appreciate that you can write these into the controller lanes in PLAY mode, but it’s easier to adjust such subtleties in WRITE mode in my opinion. I have got to the point in Sibelius where I can produce a very realistic mockup without having to go to a sequencer, but the elements that I’ve described above are crucial parts of that. Of course, as was mentioned in another thread recently, adding the type of ‘espressivo’ playback that Sibelius has will also be wonderful.

One request would be to be able to click on a number of bars or a stave and hit a command to open a floating piano roll editor in order to tweak the note timings and velocities, rather like in a sequencer. In a large orchestral score, going to play mode and opening up the specific instrument and resizing etc is a bit cumbersome and so this would be awesome in my book.

One last request which I don’t recall having come across on the forum, and which is very useful is Harp glissando functionality like the Sibelius plugins offer.

All in all it’s hats off to the team and congratulations on the recent update…It’s certainly wonderful to have this kind of forum interaction with the developers. Daniel’s poem was wonderfully composed and in it’s true spirit I will be patiently waiting for my specific needs and requests to rise to the top of the list, and will look forward to the next update(s)…v.3?

This is more than understandable. This latest release is profound. I’m impatient but happy to wait for a satisfying implementation.

Thanks for doing what you do -

Jack

+1 for this.

Velocity editing would definitely turn the tide for me.
I’m currently writing music with other notation software rewired to Reaper DAW. Good combination of velocity control with CC automation. Not so tight playback, but still usable.
Decided to try out Dorico amazed by it’s versatility and the chance of all-in-one solution. While writing my first project I needed to trigger specific velocity samples on Drum VSTi’s, that’s when I found out that velocity editing was missing. Also there are other instruments which don’t support velocity control with CC.
Handling this with dynamics markings for every custom velocity note could do it. But it’s not instantly accurate without a lot of customization.
Couldn’t believe Dorico didn’t support it, given its huge potential. I suppose it’s not so easy, so vote up for this.

Also, I would like to know if the 30 days trial period can be renewed when the feature is released. Deadlines are looming, so I’ll have to unhappily go back to the rewire workflow.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, corduroy. Generally speaking you can only run a single trial version of a given version of the software on one computer, but by the time this feature is introduced it’ll be another version of Dorico, and another trial will be available.

Ok. That would be awesome.

Thank you Daniel.