Verse numbering for through-composed choral music

I know that you can change the verse number automatically in vertically aligned verses. However, I’m working on a through-composed carol whereby the verses run one after the other, musically. Every verse is showing as numbered ‘1’.

I imagine I could select the next verse up for verse two and readjust the vertical positioning but this feels clumsy. Is there a way to number verses more elegantly in this situation?

Thoughts appreciated.

I don’t think I really understand the problem… Can’t you just use the properties panel to insert a “show verse number” and set it to 2 and so forth ? Indeed, you’ll need to readjust the vertical positioning when there are different verses in the same system, but it does not sound too dramatic…

I agree this is a problem. I’ve requested in the past the ability to set a different verse number as a property.

Apologies if I wasn’t very clear. Yes – you can set subsequent verses to higher numbers using the Properties Panel (using Line x) but the first syllable in that system (say Verse 2) will drop in position and need raising up. This just feels inelegant and I was wondering whether there was a neater way of accounting for verse numbers that occur horizontally, as it were, rather than in a traditional verse anthem style, one above the other.

1 Like

The only way I have found to do it is to manually add the verse number, the period, and a non-breaking space, all added to the first lyric of the verse.

1 Like

Speaking of higher verse numbers… I’d also love it if the filter selection went up to 10. I have many hymns that have 6 or 7 verses, and occasionally you need to filter those verses, and currently the filters only go up to 5, so then you manually have to click on the syllables to select them, because doing select more will also select other verses.

Thanks, everyone. At least this time I wasn’t missing the obvious! It would be good to have a solution to this – most of my own choral work progresses in this way rather than strohpically.

Perhaps the team would be willing to allow us to override the sequence like with rehearsal numbers. This problem could be solved if we could set the “index” as separate from the line height (ie- “index:2, line height 1”)

Indeed.
Totally off-piste but I can’t find the option to change the bar number font style in the Font Styles dialogue – mine starts with Bar Repeat Count. That’s where the docs I find say you change it.

It’s in Paragraph Styles, not Font Styles.

I was wondering whether the engraving options for lyric line spacing could solve this.
Unfortunately it’s not simple, because the relevant parameter specifies the distance between the bottom of a lyric line and the top of the one below it, but a quick test showed that negative spacings can be entered.
Obviously, any setting would be font and font-size dependent.
Have any of our resident experts tried this?

I confess, I find this an odd placement. I sometimes find the categorical difference between font and paragraph styles to be rather opaque.

Yes, it doesn’t work. The only real option at present is what I posted above. Everything in “Line 1.”

And just in case you weren’t aware, @DWR-keys, you can enter more than one lyric on the same note (ie- the fake verse number and a lyric proper) by using alt+shift+space to put space between the verse number and lyric, but not advance the caret.

As I expected.
I didn’t believe you guys would have missed something a simple as that!

Many thanks – all the info I found said Font Styles!

Thank you for that one.
I suspect this is going to be useful in cases where there’s a spoken section without a clearly defined rhythm.

1 Like

It’s also what I use for Anglican chant / psalm settings and for reciting tones.

Ah, that takes me back about 40 years to when I was singing or accompanying them.
(I’ve lived and worked in Japan for 32 years now, and most of that work was not in music.)

Are you sure you are referring to the latest documentation? Since earlier versions are older, they often have more clicks and lead Google Search astray.