Versicle and Response symbols

I’ve been working on a liturgical project and wanted to create some modified glyphs for Versicle and Response. It’s pretty niche, but when you need them, you need them!

Here they are, a dinky little font I called Liturgico. It’s literally just V and R. I may add additional characters in the future as I need them.

3 Likes

You’re the new Font Wizard. Congrats !

This is so useful. I’ve been using essentially an identical font called “liturgy” that is the same thing. Just R & V.

I’d be curious to see yours. Mine is derived closely from Charis SIL, but there are lots of beautiful ones out there. I intended this one to harmonize with the typical serif fonts I use these days for liturgy, Minion Pro and Equity.

It’s a bit spindlier. Although I confess I like the slash bits of this other one better, however the letters themselves are nicer in yours.

Edit:
@Dan, I’ve also discovered there’s this other page on the same website which offers a few other alternates:

1 Like

In the spirit of completeness, Cardo is excellent as well. It has a wide range of liturgical glyphs, including three versions of the V/R.

My main goal above was not to re-invent the wheel, but mostly to assign the V and R to simple characters so I didn’t have to type the Unicode every time!

One can’t accuse it of being a very handsome typeface though… :zipper_mouth_face:

No, but the V and R glyphs are really nice. Here are some of the variants:

And here are the primary ones:

Interesting. Google doesn’t show any of those glyphs. It’s frustrating that the table is limited to standard characters.

The symbols are also in the updated Finale Lyrics fonts.

Well, Cardo has nearly 4,000 glyphs, so…!

For anyone else looking to dive into this, here’s another resource page that discusses various fonts with the aforementioned glyphs:

Here’s a hi-res scan of a letterpress typeface, from an old Order of Service for Compline. I like how the little extra bits look like quaver rests.

1 Like

I wonder what the slash represented when it was first introduced (millennia ago).

I’ll hazard a guess here that it developed as a contraction of the full terms so scribes didn’t have to write out “Versiculum” every time. So V/ was the shorthand. Eventually that would morph into its own symbol. As I understand it there are tons of contractions and interesting ligatures in ancient latin manuscripts that are long-defunct today.