Version 2(.1) documentation published

I guess Lillie is the only one that doesn’t want to see v3 get out soon! :smiley:
Thanks for this huge job!

Just got the chance to peruse the new manual section on Divisi. It cleared up some questions I had.

I can’t say enough about this effort. In the area of documentation Dorico has gone from so-so to outstanding.

It probably doesn’t save much time, if you need a professional translator and/or musicologist to moderate it. Translation speed is not usually limited by how fast someone can type.

Also, there’s a chicken-and-egg problem: you can’t write the documentation describing the program’s menus and shortcuts in a translated language until the menus and shortcuts themselves have been translated and agreed on, which isn’t as simple as just “translating the words” - for example you also have to think about peculiarities of international computer keyboards as well!

That’s an interesting idea, but I probably should have phrased my reply better - we essentially know what we’re going to do, it’s just a question of getting it going. Steinberg prefers to work with their translators directly, as this helps to maintain consistency not just within each product but across all their products. It would get quite confusing for users if the chosen term for a particular feature changed from topic to topic (as we are all familiar with the linguistic variety within music terminology…!)

Hopefully we’ll have an update on this soon.

Amazing! Thank you, Lillie, for all you do. And good luck keeping up with the development team! :wink:

Thank you!

Just curious - why is this documentation not linked here:

?

The version 1 documentation is available there, but not this excellent documentation for version 2.1.

An excellent question: we encountered a small issue with the new target links at the perfect time to find those sorts of things, on a Friday afternoon.

We’ll be fixing up everything after the weekend.

Thank you Lillie! It is a more than welcome update.

Now I wonder when that great team will post similar updates in other languages. Not a real issue to me, but it will be welcome to have the updated manuals, for example in Spanish.

Waiting to version 3…

This is wonderful. Thank you, Lillie!

Is there an appropriate place or way to communicate, if we think we have found an error somewhere?

You’re currently looking at it, Rinaldo.

Thank you so much for your fine work. Looking forward to 2.2

It often reads like a rough draft to me. I hope that at some point an editor will go over it and get rid of the unnecessary verbiage. This would aid comprehension and reduce the page count.

The following was taken at random from page 31:

"For example, in a Classical-period symphony, it is not uncommon for the brass players to be tacet in the second, slow movement, so the flow for the second movement can simply not contain brass players.

could read:

For example, the brass players might be tacet in the slow movement of a Classic period symphony, so the flow would not contain the brass players.

In that case, and in the spirit of helping to make something good even better:

The bottom of page 17 ends with “You can hide/show the panel whose icon is currently selected in the Notations toolbox in
any of the following ways:”

But there are no “following ways” at the top of the next page, just a RESULT subhead.

Many thanks for this feedback.

Brilliantly spotted, this is due to a formatting error in a topic containing reusable elements and will be fixed imminently.

We do have a very dedicated and eagle-eyed editor who reviews everything. We always try to keep excess words to a minimum, but sometimes it’s helpful to expand a bit (for added clarity or for musical interest but also to bring up more results if someone were to search to docs for a particular phrase). This sentence could do with a little trimming though, I’ll take a look at it.

Thanks for the work!!! This is great!

Robby

Evening all,

I’ve published another update to the 2.x manual. It’s available now online as both webhelp and PDF for both Pro and Elements in the usual place (and also linked in the original post in this thread).

Big hitters in this update:

• Repeat markers - in the Notation reference
  • Flow headings - in Engrave mode (Pro)/Layout and formatting (Elements)
  • Tacets - in Engrave mode (Pro)/Layout and formatting (Elements)
  • File name recipes and updated printing/exporting options - in Print mode

Besides that, I’ve been focused on general improvements, consolidation, and fact-checking as we ramp up our efforts to speed up translation. In fact, you may notice that this update is on fewer pages in the PDF (1028 now compared to 1055 on 25th Jan) whilst containing more information. (Mwuah ha ha, our efficiency efforts are working!)

Options dialogs not in Elements are now not included in the Elements manual, but there is still a lot of markup to be done fir Elements I’m afraid. Thanks for your patience on that front!

The hopefully speedy 2.0 translation process is now underway, I’m very happy to say, so we hope to have not just news, but also translated documentation for you in the near future.

Fantastic work, thank you!

Excellent - thanks, Lillie!

Thank you so much.

Thanks Lillie.