Vertical Mixconsole in left zone (custom track headers+inserts/sends)

get a wave display in there, preferably one that draws the wave static, not scrolling… like the display in Cable Guys volume shaper. A scrolling display is hard to read.

Here is a small variation of the screenshot. I have moved Pan &Volume at the right of track controls. Is more clear to me.
I would do a shortcut to show/hide inserts&sends of left side, and always leave the volume and pan at the right as track controls
1234dropdown 2.jpg

I like your designs guys except one thing… THEY DONT HAVE A FADER!!!

When you put the cursor over one dbmeter, a fader appears

That’s fine too, I first thought the same, but then I rearranged it and put it on the left.
Why? Because if you have those volume/pan faders on the right and if you scroll around your project window very fast, it is much more likely to accidentally move those faders with the mouse wheel.
We could disable mouse wheel fader movement for these controls on the track panel, thats true, but for me that would heavily impair my workflow.
In the end it should not be a big problem to make it customizable where every element has to be in the track panel. We have that already, if Im not mistaken? So everyone can arrange their track panel as they need!

Did not think about that. Problem solved I guess! /nice

That’s a really cool idea (so long as it’s collapsible/optional). That would actually probably be a better way to implement the feature request for putting a pan/fader in the track control area.

Yeap, this could bring things to a new level, like having tabbed plugin windows per channel (which I hope they are gonna implement anyway soon).
Less windows overall, more organized. Less distractions when mixing/being creative.

I have done some screenshots and I will try to make a summary of how all these changes could be implemented.

TRACK CONTROLS
The following track controls should be added to the list of items that we can add/remove from track controls configurations:
1- Fader of Volume
2- Slider of Panorama
3- dbMeter scale
4- dbMeter scale with floating fader volume if cursor is over the dbMeter scale
5- Rotary knob combined for Volume and Panorama (central knob for Volume & ring for Panorama)
6- Inserts slots
7- Sends slots
8- Cues slots

1 to 5 are related to volume and pan, 6 to 8 are dropdown menus

SCREENSHOTS
All the track controls can be combined, so the following screenshots can be obviously combined according to user needings:

Fader of Volume + Slider of Panorama (examples for 1/2/3 lines of height in the track, with different widths)

Fader+dBmeter in 3 lines height
Fader+dB Channel 3 Lines.png
1 knob for Volume&Pan in 1 and 2 lines height

More info of this knob in another post:

Inserts slots in 1 line, 3 lines, and 8 lines

It could be the same for sends, cues, etc.
Tracks selected would show the slots in blue (active color)
Tracks not selected would show the slots in grey (inactive color)

If all these track controls are implemented, we will have a lot of options to configure the tracks.
It would be useful to have a fast system to change between the configuration we want to use.
For that purpose, we should have shortcuts and buttons for chaging between configurations.
Here attached an idea of how buttons could be:

I have opened a new post with this feature, with more explanations:
New Shortcuts & Buttons for Track configurations - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Also I think it will be useful to gain room for all these new controls in the track controls.
I have opened a new post with the option of disabling the Image Picture and save room:

1 Like

Nice work. No brainer IMO. With ultra wide screen monitors all DAWS should, and probably will, implement GUI’s that can be customised to the users needs. Slowly DAWs will become more and more similar. The DAW that can be customised the most will prevail.

1 Like

Well done! these are all great!

Lets hope Steinberg thinks the same :unamused:
But tbh, there are so many people using cubase coming from different sectors (songwriters, electronic producers, recording engineers, mixing engineers, mastering engineers, scoring producers, etc…) it would be a bad idea to force people into a specific workflow on the long run.
For some people it is not needed to have certain things in the main view… others would like to have everything at hand.
IMHO the GUI and the basic things can stay as they are, cause I think they are designed well, work and look good. What I am missing, and thats why I opened this thread, that there is no way to put basic stuff like volume/pan and also inserts/sends on or next to track panels. And I am pretty sure that everyone using this DAW at least once thought about things like that.

Thats already possible, right click in the track panel and click on “hide track pictures” or sth like that.

Take a look to the opened post. Now you can hide/show the Track Pictures.

But even you hide the Track Pictures, the room of the Track Picture is blocked, you can not use that room for any other controls.

That’s what I talk about enabling/disabling the Track Pictures in Preferences.

What do you mean by having tabbed plugin windows per channel?

Are you familiar with Studio1?

Plugins of each track are organized in tabs. So if you want to edit multiple tracks at the same time, you have 1 plugin window per track and can navigate through tabs to each plugin. Instead of having to open each plugin window on each track one by one and then close it again.
This approach is much more organized and is familiar to internet browsing. Imagine browsing the internet and having multiple single windows all over the place :blush: :open_mouth:

https://img.wavescdn.com/1lib/images/videos/preview/mixing-vocals-with-waves-plugins-studio-one-eq.jpg

Oh I’m not really that familiar with Studio One. I checked it out once. It was made by some people who left the Steinberg/Cubase team right? I haven’t looked much into it but that does seem nice!

I think this is a great idea, and even better is to have it on the Track Headers in my opinion (with faders that pop up when you hit the value, like Pro Tools does), so you can leave the left panel open for immediate use of other things. Either idea is great – for me, whatever amounts to the least amount of clicks and mousing about is best, and to put these smartly in the Track Headers (see Pro Tools, Reaper, and most other DAWs) is the best for that. The advantage there is that you barely need to move your mouse when working quickly – with your idea here you would always need to mouse all the way over to the left, so there is a speed and efficiency advantage to having this stuff in the regular track headers.

But your idea definitely has its own advantages, too. I would be very happy to have it.