What would it be like if you had a mixconsole-like window on the left side of the screen, rotated by 90° from top to bottom (where the inspector is now), in line with the tracks in the project window, instead of having it horizontally as it is now?
So if you scroll down the project window, the mixconsole scrolls down too and it could be an even more intuitive approach to the “all in one-window” system modern DAWs try to achieve?
Let me explain:
I mostly have a lot of tracks in my projects and therefore working with the mixconsole can be distracting if you have to scroll around in 2 different windows when mixing. And even more so if both windows work in different directions (horizontally vs vertically), it just does not seem that “intuitive”. The inspector is already fine, but the thing is you first have to select each track you want to change.
Don’t get me wrong, it already works fine as it is now, but I think there could be an even better solution.
Imagine just scrolling down the project window and be able to set volume/pan/polarity/whatever “on the go” and having everything in line, without clicking around to open new windows and stuff like these.
Would be interested in your thoughts!
EDIT: to sum it up for those new to this thread, thats the current status:
- Making the left zone resizable and customazible, somehow like the track panel, so everything which you want to be visible is up to you and for a more detailed view you still could change to the actual inspector view or mixer view
- as an additional view for the left zone, with a keycommand you could switch between inspector and this
- Inserts and sends could be just one button with a dropdown menu window if the track have a small height (1-2-3 lines). The drpdown menu window would show the slots with plugins and the sends. The more you expand the track height, the more insert/send slots are visible.
- for those who want to work with “real faders”: additionally a bigger volume fader could appear when adjusting the volume on the track panel, or you could have a resizable fader if you wish so (that will take more horizontal space ofc.
- more vertical space, cause theres no lower zone
- everything at hand, more intuitive, everything is in line with each other
- 1 view instead of 2 different views, project view and mixconsole united
- inspector and mixconsole could still be left as they are now for people who do not want to change their workflow
Another example of how it is solved in Reaper with the additional “Fxlist”: