Hi the Steinberg team,
Beside the fact that I love using Cubase, I have been regularly stumbling upon a quite old and very annoying bug, which is still there (I use the very last version of Cubase 11.0.41 on Big Sur 11.6.2). By the way, I remember having it already on Cubase 9, if I am not wrong.
As I am rather a patient and understanding kind of person, I am not used to post messages in the forum. Indeed when I discover a bug, I know that it will be fixed in the next release most of the time… and I can wait for it. But to be honest, I cannot understand why this bug was not fixed before as it is very disabling and easily reproducible.
Because I think a video speaks more than words for this kind of thing, I recorded my screen and make the result available on a famous video platform. I hope it can be helpful. Here is the link: Cubase - audio events linked selection bug - YouTube
From my own experience, it seems that when two audio events on two separate tracks have the same size and position (i.e. exactly the same start and end points), then they turn on to be linked like hell for ever… so linked that even death cannot do them part: when you delete/move/select/unselect/you-name-it one, the same happens to the other.
In my example, I edited the track below to fit the size of the track above, so in this case only an “undo” operation can save you from the “ineluctable” at least if you notice it early enough (fortunately it was my case here). But if you go on with your work carelessly, “undo” just cannot be the solution as it could compromise hours of work that you did in the meantime… or you can just think of the case when you saved your work in the meantime and quit Cubase, then the bug will be irremediably there the next time you open it. In such damned case, there is still a solution to escape from the “linked selection” bug: clicking on one of them will select both of course, but double clicking will open only one sample editor. From this window you can move the event start and end markers, thus breaking the link (you’re welcome). This operation works fine but is EXTREMELY cumbersome, especially when a hundred of events are affected (you can easily imagine why…). This happened to me a couple of weeks ago
I would be really grateful if you (the Steinberg team) could put some effort to fix this bug. I would be also of course glad to help if you need further information.