VERY ugly bug: Sluggish GUI with enabled Tempotrack

Steiny - any update on this hotfix? The ‘fix’ must be MAJOR with the time it’s taking to address and fix what was broken in the last update. I know many who are still on N4.x - because new issues with each update. I love the new features - but the latest update is making me re-think updating any sooner than a year after…till the dust settles.

Confirmed. Should be fixed ASAP indeed.

What a familiar deafening silence in here huh…

I love mixing in Nuendo. It creates a lot more work for me to get projects into and out of, but I suffer it because generally I can work more effectively once I am up and running. However the more stuff that slows me down in Nuendo and the more the lack of response and slow reaction in this forum drags on, the less I feel like it pays for me to waste time and effort transferring in and out, and the more I think I will seriously try to upgrade my PT to v10 and really try some work seriously in that. The differences are getting smaller every new release of PT cause they are taking all the good stuff from Nuendo and implementing it in a solid and really well planned way. All I need is a monitor controller and to see how well my UAD works in PT and then I am pretty much sold…I know my controllers will be great now.

Cmon Steiny - a small bit of effort just to say ‘we will have a look into this’ and then actually say if you could repro it in house would go a fu*king long way around here…we are so used to being ignored completely that even a token effort will be nice lip service.

Nearly 3 weeks and still pure digital silence…along with all the other major baseline stuff that is iffy…pull up your socks guys.

Sam

Well, Bredo - to be honest - I was quite annoyed recently (and still) because in my eyes it is quite unprofessional to recommend using better drummers or some kind of oldschool workflow when I just posted about a certain issue which IS there and which is NOT there in older versions OR in latest Cubase (which uses the same algos etc).

In addition to that I am getting tired to post about issues here, I have to get my stuff done, usually I am 70 hours / week in the studio and what I do NOT like is spending hours posting about issues - when (in the same time) nothing happens.

Ok - but I am still here :slight_smile:

After one or two weeks in Nuendo 5.5.3:

I can NOT track down that tempotrack issue… I was working for 8 days straight in quite complex projects, 12 songs, all in seperate projects but heavy edited stuff, lots of drums… NO issues. Complex tempotracks etc, lots of tempochanges during the songs, deathmetal! Nuendo was blazing fast and quite solid.

BTW - new lanes are quite great! Finaly!! crosshatching is still there and quite nasty, but I am 99% of the time in transparent event mode, so here it is not an issue… I stepped over quite a lot … mh… strange… issues… smaller issues… for example when moving the audio inside of an event (ctrl alt click/move) in lanes mode causes the event to drop in the background (grey) for some reasons, same in regular mode in project window - sometimes you just move something and DANG it dissapears - it drops below other events… Stuff like that should be fixed but is not a showstopper, I have shortcuts for “bring to front” and well, it dissapears - hit shortcut, all fine. There were other issues as well… I can’t remember.

I am a user who purchased the software, I am not a betatester. So I have no intention to spend time to write down all strange issues I stepped over…

Ok, to keep it short: Basically 5.5.3 runs fine, featurewise it is the best version of Nuendo ever, I was able to record, edit and mix quite well.

BUT: Yesterday I went back to those projects with sluggish cursor… It is still there. I spent some time rebuilding 2 projects - exporting / imorting tempotrack and all audiotracks, I even bounced the events to have solid waves without any edits - to make sure the fact that I have wave and aif mixed in one project is the issue.

Nothing - still sluggish! I am not getting this. ALL of those projects. Even if set up clean, without templates etc. Small projects. 30 tracks, little to no editing. Sluggish as hell! If I switch of tempotrack - even if it is just a 120 bpm song without changes - everything is fast. Opening in latest Cubase - everything is fast.

I tried to open just a npr without audio - this is not working - it is fast. So I can not send just a np3.

I tried to run the projects fron regular hd as well as from the ssd - same all the time.

I will upload a fragment of the project soon, reseted mixer, so no processing, bounced audio (30 sek of drums) - it is sluggish!!

To repeat myself for those who usually tell me to use another drummer and/or doing my records like 1992: The projects with 666 edits are running fast! The projects with solid events, less tracks, no plugins etc are slow.

Brandy

Great :slight_smile:) Yes, so it feels. Little bit sad, but funny though.

Well, I have to add that I do respect and like the members here very much as well as I respect different workflows - and I never said that I disagree regarding that, it all depends on the approach of the production, the music, the clients etc. I recorded Hendrix-Style Music - 3 dudes live, we agreed not do do any editing, basically I used Nuendo as a recorder. It’s all fine. And here I would be able to work with a 10 years old computer on Nuendo 1, with one single UAD1. It is all fine as well as I have my deepest respect regarding other, experienced users.

But - regarding a bug (or lets call it an issue because I can not reproduce 100%) - recommending me (now in other words) to stop producing modern and complex heavy metal - is not that what we need to track down an issue (which was not there and is not there in Cubase)

Brandy

+1
Steinberg really need to act up now. There are quite a lot bugs needing to be fixed. This tempotrack, reverence recall issue, AAF issues etc. All are issues that need to be fixed ASAP.

Bye / Tumppi

+1
This and Metronome primarly.

So I am not the only one whith that tempotrack issue?! I was slightly under the impression.

BTW I made videos yesterday of that behaviour. Maybe I will upload them but they are not very good - me, talking bad english while trying to hold the iphone with one and and doing some edits with the other.

The metronome thing is quite funny (in a bad way) - funny because it is a long time bug, even in Cubase, everyone is complaining because this is something basic and NOTHING happens.

eeehhh… … Suspension of judgment …
Very sad scenario.

Steinberg - any comment? Even, jump off a cliff and buy PT if you don’t like - would be better than this silence.

Maybe I should upload the videos I made yesterday. But I feel ashame regarding “Brandy talks english” haha :slight_smile:

But I fear that there will be big… silence… Or the advice to update VGA drivers or install a faster HD, faster CPU or something like that… Damn I do not have the time for creating double-check projects… But I did. Maybe I will upload tomorrow. Am I getting money for that ? :laughing:

So, I made a little video. You can watch it directly via Dropbox by clicking the link. Please watch carefully and then do not tell me that this is a workflow issue. I am going mad here because of this bug, Nuendo is almost unusable, I am in Cubase mainly these days, but Cubase slows down as well when you start slice-editing. Here the whole thing becomes sluggish after a while, when dealing with longer songs espessialy.

Sorry for the bad english, just watch the cursor line following the scissoir tool - usually I am using alt+click usually but I had to hold the iPhone so I had to use the scissoirs for demonstrating, it is even slower when holding down alt while moving the mouse:

Christoph,
we will look into this. I have an idea about a possible cause. We’ll get back on this topic short term.
It might help to get your project file (even without audio). Please contact me by email (t.marx@steinberg.de).

Thorsten

Yikes!

Sorry for kwetching but… does anyone QC this stuff?..

Yea - it’s not like it’s a showstopper BUT similar to walking around with something in your eye. Your not dead but it’s VERY irritating AND distracting (as well as a significant workflow slow down). Good to hear that they are looking into it and have an idea of the solution.

Hi Thorsten,

thanks for finally jumping in. I will provide you with everything, I even have a small and trimmed down project with audio which is zipped only about 100 mb and which shows that behavior as well.

Via email I can write you in german which would be somewhat more effective when it comes to explaining issues.

Exactly :wink: Exept that I would say that in my case it DOES feel like a showstopper, at least in an editing/recording scenario. Mixing and stuff is fine.

You know it’s been a long time since I’ve been on the Nuendo forum, I remember around the time I was last active we had some new mods and talk that Steinberg were going to become a lot more responsive to issues and bugs, acknowledging and prioritising and fixing stuff.

It appears NOTHING has changed.

Steinberg - THIS is why people still use Pro Tools.

Which is has its own very serious and annoying bugs as well. And do not talk for all people. I would NEVER use ProTools.