Video file support?

I am using FRAPS for screen capture. I would like to import the video into Cubase 5.5.2 and add commentary.

FRAPS saves as an uncompressed AVI file. I try to import this into cubase, but it gives me an all-white video window.

I used VirtualDub to re-encode in various formats (XVID, hr264, mp4, ffdshow, intel I.263, DivX 6.8.5) and none work. I currently do not have the option of converting to MOV. Is there any way for me to work with cubase and video? I know it is probably a matter of codecs, but honestly if cubase cannot recognize AVI files of any of the above codecs, then I have no idea what to do.

I got one to work. But the color went sepia.

Is this normal? I have been trying to get this to work for hours, and I’m about ready to give up on cubase. Too many problems. I have never had an audio program turn all my videos sepia.

You should check out pp 446 to 450 in the manual, much easier than trying to explain here.

The manual clearly indicates a dropdown menu in which you can change the playback method. I probably need to change the method.

Unfortunately, I do not have this option. The Device Setup → Video Player window in Cubase does not match the one shown in the manual. In this screenshot, the actual video preferences are on the left, and the window shown in the manual is on the right. Notice the lack of options in mine.

well, forget it. I’m just going to stop using Cubase. I have spent more time trying to fix problems than I have actually working with the program. It can’t use Rewire properly, video file handling is prohibitively selective, and there will be no more updates for 5.

Thanks for the help, though. I really did RTM, and unfortunately the manual does not correlate with how cubase actually behaves.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Maybe someone who knows will post…

well, I ran into an identical problem in ProTools. It imports the video file fine, I added my commentary track, bounce to MOV file. Lo and behold, the file works properly, except it has an extreme blue tint. I’m at my wits’ end.

HI

Both Mac and PC should use Quicktime (there 's a PC version from Apple) movies IMO.

You need to convert to a video format that keeps each frame intact (H264, Mpeg4, AVCHD DO NOT ). A good choice is MJPEG (motion JPEG). DV-NTSC/PAL can work too.

Many cheaper Video Converters only offer codec versions for recent devices like iPod, Apple TV , MediaServers etc. These formats are usually not suitable.

So yes, if you don’t have a full featured Video editor (Premiere/Final Cut) or a client who can deliver video in the right format, then you need to invest in a product that can handle the exports you need. Roxio make just such an app … it’s Toast Tutanium Pro on the Mac … not sure what the PC version is called, but there is one…

Hope this helps

Lee

Cubase 5.5.2 + video = horror :imp:
if anyone could help? Did you change the program?

I’m using a PC, and so Final Cut is off-limits to me. I cannot afford Premiere, or anything else for that matter - I’m a student, and money is tight.

I did use Virtualdub, and H.264 and MPEG4 codecs are the first that I tried. I readily admit that I do not know that much about video encoding, but I have tried all the options at my disposal. It has been difficult to find a codec that Quicktime can play back without errors.

Do you have quicktime installed on your pc? I ask because I want to help you and you did not say if you have installed it.

OK … as Steve suggested : have you installed Quicktime 7 for Windows on your machine? If so it’s not hard to ‘find’ a Quicktime Pro Serial number that will activate a bunch of Export options so you can convert your files to a player friendly codec (MJPEG / DV ?)

If that’s too hard, try this, go to

It’s a free Windows Video Converter … looks comprehensive. I’m Mac based so I can’t vouch for it, or anything PC. However Video playback is not trivial. If it doesn’t work, search another tool.

There are hundreds of formats, containers, codecs and players out there that have all been tweaked by various organizations for their own purposes. This means that creators of video files have to know what they are doing and use the right tools … or you’ll end up with a file that won’t behave anywhere no matter what you do to it. I’m afraid there’s no way Steinberg can integrate a Video Player that will play every file no matter what. Pro studios rely on external video servers, extra hardware, even tape machines to ensure reliable video playback. You have to set tested production workflows (which are painful to develop as you finding out) and follow them precisely.

IMO the best ‘standard’ for Native video playback is Quicktime. The best Codec is MJPEG. The best Resolution is 640 x 480 (ish), the best frame rate is the one the movie is being made in.

I work with files like this every day … no issues.

Hope this helps

Lee

I used SUPER when I was on PC. It works very well, a bit of a weird interface…

Incidentally, if you haven’t checked the what’s new in Cubase 5.5 pdf, that might make sense. Changes were made.

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase_5/5.5.0.602/New_Features_en.pdf

Steve thank you - and thanks to your posts, I managed to set everything. :smiley:

after the update to 5.5.0 and after that.
the choice of playback method has been removed.

steinberg just lost at customer here I guess.