Video HD 60fps MOV import from iphone failed inside latest C12.0.40 Pro

So I was helping my kid for his school project, he wanted to edit audio from his drums performance recording for a clip in a video, so he recorded the HD (1920x1080x60fps) .MOV video with his iphone and we also recorded both audio and midi from the TD17 drums into C12.0.40 Pro.
My OS is Windows 10 21H1.

I tried to import other (30fps) movies and it worked perfectly in C12.
I tried using a new project setup and set a 60fps setting to see if it would help and still no luck with that video.

I had to abandon my session and create a new project in Studio One 5 then import the exact same stems and was finally able to continue working and export a new video file for him after only 15 minutes spent in S1 5.5.2 Pro. Please note that the movie was loading fine in VLC too and everywhere I opened//imported it (including DaVinci Resolve 17 video editing software in my Kid’s film editing workstation he uses for his filming school work)

Any idea why it fails, looks like it is a bug?

How can I report that bug efficiently, even though there is (sadly) no dialog output failure from C12 saying anything after failing to import that file ? (same in the pool, no error log could be read but file does not import while other similar files in 30fps do).

I’d like to use C12 that I continued to pay much more money than S1 for editing these videos as it has video tracks that is nice to have for more complex projects, so I hope Steinberg fixes that issue.

I can share the video file privately to steinberg if that helps.

Hi,

Please read through Video support in Nuendo, Cubase, WaveLab and Dorico article.

Video must be precisely in standard 24/25/29.97/30/etc.
It happens a lot that smartphone filmed videos are slightly off standard like 30.01, which is unacceptable in professional work.
You can just reprocess them with software that offers a video frame rate standardization/ adjustment.
I wrote a toolkit that does it automatically if it recognizes a standard deviation that may be a problem when you try to import into professional DAWs.
Check it out here.
But there are a lot of other tools you can use to achieve what you need, the only difference is that you’ll have to know by yourself what needs fixing and how to achieve that.
Plus, note that Steinberg doesn’t (yet) support video dimensions above 1920x1080.

1 Like

Unfortunately, you can’t just throw in any video and expect it to work properly. Loads of formats/compression schemes etc. around.
There are only a few that are tried and tested, and will work.

It is an accepted format and it imported properly with other fps with the same phone, the problem as confirmed by others in this frame is the fps, please do not assume more that you know and think before you post if your answer is helpful.

Thanks @Sagi that helps.

Still surprising that we don’t get a warning though could be helpful for user.
@Martin.Jirsak Hopefully they improve that behavior, also the fps could still be accepted with a warning for users still interested for either non-professional use or when it is close enough to be acceptable anyway (which was my case as the deviation in a 1:20min shot was neglectable).

I think it should be a user decision with a warning, and the imported frame should be just re-aligned to the nearest fps in that particular use case, like the other converter tools do when user is ok with that.

It’s probably what Studio One does as it worked pretty well there.

1 Like

Phones do often use VFR - variable frame rate for technical reasons. That is normally fine for viewing but a nuissance for use in a production, as the number of frames per second vary during the clip. Most of the time such clips have to be transcoded for pro editing work.

Please keep in mind, that DAWs are meant to be used in a production context, where the video part is already prepared (not raw footage from all kinds of sources). Editing systems are somewhat different, as they usually need to ingest footage from all kinds of meaningful sources.

Cheers.

2 Likes