Video solution. What's New?

Don’t know if you guys have figured this out yet, but the 8.02 Blackmagic driver/video setup brings Intensity Pro into use with Nuendo 5.5 64 bit on Windows 7. It is very smooth and stable here on an old Q6600 Quad with 8GB of DDR2 Ram, using HDMI out from the Intensity card. Goodbye System Link for video playback, and likely altogether once I move to a new I7 setup. Anyway, just thought I’d share.
By the way, I wound up having to install Catalyst with the drivers for my Radeon X1300 card in order to get Nuendo’s Video engine to recognize everything. They are the legacy Vista 64 drivers and they are working great.

The Blackmagic 8.0x driver is great.

But it is N5.5 that brings video output support for its 64bit DAW.
Steinberg solved the puzzle, and it is (AFAIK) the first 64-bit DAW with support for video out (Blackmagic, Aja etc.)

Beat that Avid!!

(Oh thats right. They don’t have a 64bit daw.)

Pål

And they don’t even support Intensity in 32bit PT on Windows… :sunglasses:

Well, at least they do support Intensity PRO with PT9 32 bit on windows 7 64 bit system.

Do i understand you correctly? I can now run N5.5 in 64Bit with video out thru Blackmagic Intensity on Win7 64Bit? I thought, this is a Quicktime issue.
Or is it the first 64 Bit DAW on MAC to support video out?
I just installed it in 32 Bit on Win7 64Bit. But perhapes i just have to reinstall in 64 Bit.
Did you install successfully in 64Bit with video out?

Steinberg has build a 64-bit Wrapper for QT, so that Qt (32-bit) can be used in a 64bit environment.

Fredo

To make it clear:

New features of N5.5

Win7:
N5.5 64bit on Win7 64 bit now supports video out on Blackmagic and Aja (First in the world!)

OSX (Snow Leo and Lion)

N5.5 64 bit in SL and Lion 64 bit supports video out on BM and Aja (First in the world!)

How cool is that??

You have to install the 64bit version of N5.5 in Win7 to try this. It works!!

Keep in mind that it can be other stuff stopping you from running N5.5 64bit, like plugins. aka. Waves V8 etc.

Pål

… and the best thing is: IT ACTUALLY WORKS !!

Yeah, we were all kinda surprised here.
;o))))

Fredo

It works here too!!! This is perfect!!!
They must have did something in the code to make it work!!!. Congrats Steinberg!!!

It not only works, but smoothly, and with little impact on system resources and, as I mentioned previously, this is on a Q6600 Quad. I can only imagine how nice it will be on a new i7 setup. Already phasing out System Link here. So far, Nuendo 5.5 is the best version I’ve experienced.

Great! I’m sure some people have worked their asses off to give us this release…
Create thank you threads!!

Pål

Hmmm. It WORKED. For no particular reason, IntensityPro said goodbye today and no more video is played back (it works onscreen, still, of course). Still works with Premiere, so it’s probably not the driver.

Where do I see this QT wrapper ? I reinstalled Nuendo, but that didn’t help.

EDIT: Premiere CS5 also stopped supporting the Intensity. Something is very wrong here :frowning:

Guess in the dark! Did you install the latest QT fix from Apple for Win7 ? Released yesterday I think.

Pål

YES

Tried to remove it? Or reinstall former QT release for Win7??

Intensity Pro goes to Ebay. I give up. It never really worked, or probably I’m just too stupid.

I just need a simple 1080i output, and from all that I understood so far, even average NVidia and ATI cards with dual configuration (SLI/Eyefinity) outperfom the Intensity by very far. And there seem to be triple head solutions also, which I’m investigating right now…

I’m not yet sure which road to travel, and would be happy if anyone could help out. But honestly, to have the clients here in the studio and not being able to play the video out on a usual HDTV or beamer (consumer, admittedly, but standard HDMI) with full sound over the monitors was embarrassing enough for such a long time…

Too bad…
I got it to work on N5.5 / 64bit, QT 7.7 and it rocks…
I don’t think, I am any smarter than you are…
Or mayby just a tinsy winsy bit…LOL…:wink:

Please, if you manage a solid setup for Video, drop us a line what you are using…
Intensities are more than ok for the job, but they eat up a slot, too.

Servus, Big K

Sad that you didn’t get the Intensity (pro) to work like you wanted. I work with it many places.

In my personal mix stage I use a DVI to HDMI converter for the beamer. Very happy with that also.
IMHO one of the cool things by using a normal graphics output is that I can place other stuff on the beamer as well.
For instance the TC window if the video doesn’t have TC burn in.

Pål

Awesome stuff those consumer cards offer…

The handling is a real nightmare, it took almost one complete day to have this configured (what kind of guys actually do the coding for that, and what are they thinking is the maximum of input ppl can understand???). If I had to write a “how to” I would surrender. I started with just three monitors and one 50" HDTV connected, and at least for stupid me it was quite random where I could even see the ATI configuration panel. Connected another panel, everything was gone. Well, as I said, it’s a nightmare.

But now, after all, what I get out of a simple 230$ ATI Radeon 5780 6-head DisplayPort card is just overwhelming.

1. The two main monitors (which are horizontally aligned) show the project window at 1920x1200 each.
  2. The third monitor focusses on plugins and stuff. It’s a 1920x1080, coz I had no better availbale.
  3. The fourth display shows the mixer on 1920x1200.
  4. On fifth monitor (1920x1080 again), I have my RME analyzer running plus additional space that I dunno yet how to use.
  5. Finally number six (a consumer 50" Samsung HDTV) has the video running, in overlay mode at 1080p. And this is thrilling, because it outperforms the Intensity by far. It is just “on touch”. Once you move the shuttle, it is there. Never had this before. Admittedly, this was the most complex output to configure, since the video card refused to identify the HDTV correctly (it always said 30Hz by default, and promised that it would destroy the screen once I would change the Hz rate. But this promise was wrong). I needed about 20 restarts, and everytime the identification of the monitors was alternating…

And now it’s stable. And better than ever before.

Unlike with the Intensity, I’m completely free to drop anything on my video screen and it will just work, with any acceleration I could imagine. Testing all the stuff that never worked with the Intensity, it just plays smoothly. From the desktop, from Nuendo, from QT, from whatever.

I’m just thrilled, so correct me if I’m mistaking and posting a too positive text here. I’ve just never experienced such a performance before, and it comes from such a cheap consumer card.