Video track not showing and playing my video

Just bought an update from WL9.5 to WL 10 in order to use its video features.
Installed it and made a 5.1 (6-track) montage with the 6 audio files which I rendered from a feature-film project in Nuendo.
This Nuendo project also contains a video, converted to DNxHD, which plays flawlessly in Nuendo.

Though, when I drag this same video file from my Finder onto the video track in Wavelab, Wavelab doesn’t show it, nor does it play it…
It’s a ±18GB DNxHD file, ±1 hrs and 2 minutes, 25fps, 1920x1080 , and -again- it plays flawlessly in Nuendo.
When I take a shorter video from another project, it works perfectly in Wavelab though…

What am I doing wrong?
Any help welcome.

Thanks.
Niek/ Amsterdam

Hey Niek,

the video engine of WaveLab is the same like the one from Nuendo with one exception, WaveLab comes with an “older” version.

When you drag & drop the video file onto the video track in WaveLab, what happens in detail? Is there anything happening at all? Does WaveLab at least import the audio of the video file (I assume there is audio within the video file)?

Cheers,
René

Thanks for your help René,

No, it seems like Wavelab doesn’t “react” at all after I dragged the DNxHD from my Finder onto WL’s video-track.
What happens though is that WL doesn’t react any more on a couple of key commands. Space bar (start/stop) stops functioning for example. WL needs a restart to react properly back again…

When I drag this short .mov from another project onto this same video track, WL shows the thumbnails and the video itself properly…

Looks like WL finds it difficult to read long/large video files?

Thanks again.
Niek/Amsterdam

I just tried here on Windows and Mac and cannot reproduce this behavior.

Can you tell me which exact WaveLab version you are using? WaveLab 10.0.10?

René

Hi again René,
yes, it’s 10.0.10…

I just experimented wiht another (huge) videofile, a 70GB .mov ProRes 4444 XQ.
When I dragged it from my Finder onto WL’s videotrack I could see the video’s frame (with the red border) but no thumbnails and no video content.
Maybe it has got to do with my computer, the videocard or its processor?

I’ll try it later on my laptop, and I’ll report back.

Thanks again.
Niek/Amsterdam.

Rather using drag and drop, try another method: right click in the montage video track, and choose “Insert File…”

Thanks PG, but the result is the same unfortunately.
Should I tell WL somewhere that I own Steinberg’s Video Decoder for Avid DNxHD® ?

Thanks, Niek/ Amsterdam.

Using WL10.01 on Windows 10. I also am wanting to use video track.
The video track will accept my .mov but WL does not extract the audio. The .mov file has the regular stereo channels as well as an additional 8 channels embedded however none of the audio is extracted into the montage.
The video thumbnail appear and the video plays but no audio.
The video is a pro-rez mov file and if I put it into Cubase the audio automatically gets extracted onto separate tracks but this does not happen in Wavelab.

The .mov file has the regular stereo channels as well as an additional 8 channels embedded however none of the audio is extracted into the montage.

Currently WaveLab can’t import audio from a video that has more audio channels than 2.
But this will change in the future.

My issue is not about importing audio from a video. I’m worried about the video itself which is not being shown in WL.
Maybe the issue lies in the fact that the video has no audio at all?

There is more issues coming to the surface on my rig, after 24hrs of use…

• WL Crashed after I played my 5.1-montage and cleared the montage
  • WL’s transport becomes unresponsive after playing this 5.1-montage and swapping it for another 5.1-montage

I made 2 videos of these issues

What am I doing wrong again?
Niek/ Amsterdam.

From your video, I see that you don’t have selected a valid audio device (but that does not explain the crash).
And when you have a crash report, don’t send it to Apple (who don’t care), but save it and optionally send it to the developer of the application.

, I see that you don’t have selected a valid audio device

I think I selected my MacBookPro’s Built-In output…isn’t that a valid audio device?

And when you have a crash report, don’t send it to Apple (who don’t care), but save it and optionally send it to the developer of the application.

I am sorry if I pressed the wrong button in my hurry to try to make Wavelab work for me, but fact is: the advertised feature “Video Playback Support” still doesn’t work properly on my system.
I hope the line (of this forum thread) doesn’t stop here?

Thanks for helping me getting Wavelab work (please)
Niek/ Amsterdam.

I think I selected my MacBookPro’s Built-In output…isn’t that a valid audio device?

On your video, I see there is a single audio port. Maybe you have to use an aggregate device.

I am sorry if I pressed the wrong button in my hurry to try to make Wavelab work for me, but fact is: the advertised feature “Video Playback Support” still doesn’t work properly on my system.
I hope the line (of this forum thread) doesn’t stop here?

If you can provide a video that you can’t play, please send a link in a PM.

On your video, I see there is a single audio port. Maybe you have to use an aggregate device.

I can imagine that it looks like the Built-In output of my MacBookPro only has 1 output port, but it hasn’t. Actually its a stereo output-port but it has only the port names “1” and " " (empty space)…it’s the way Apple provides names on my system. I know I can change their names but I didn’t yet. Sorry for the confusion it caused.

If you can provide a video that you can’t play, please send a link in a PM.

I will shortly

Thanks again.
Niek/ Amsterdam