Violin sound in Sketch not responding properly

Hi All,
I started to work with Iconica Sketch and love the sounds, but I am having a problem with the violin sound responding to the dynamics and articulations. It seems to be inconsistent for an unknown reason. For example, when I play back a notational phase with no articulation, it automatically plays sustain vibrato. It is also very soft, regardless of the dynamic markings. I saw the Anthony Hugh’s video and he said that the dynamics would respond to the markings in the score, but it is not working correctly in this Instance. It works for trumpet, but not the violin. Must I do something else to make it work correctly? Also, the legato is also very slow to respond to the notation. I did load the correct expression map that said violin, viola, etc. There must be something else that I’m not doing perhaps? If anyone has some pointers that might be helpful I would appreciate it very much. Meanwhile, I will keep trying and watch more tutorials and see if I can narrow this down.

Thank you,

Rich

Did you assign the sounds manually in Play mode? If so, that’s not the best approach: you should use the provided playback templates so that Dorico can not only load the right sounds for you, but also attach the right expression map. Without the right expression map being associated with the endpoint, Dorico doesn’t know how to play dynamics or other techniques.

Well, at first, the program by default, gave me a solo violin sound from sonic, which I did not want. I wanted the violin section from iconica. So then I went into play mode, chose violin, clicked the edit button, chose violin 1, then chose the expression map for violin, viola, etc. so by default, the program did not choose the iconica violin. I have the correct play template activated, but I had to manually assign the iconica violin. Is there a different way to do this that will allow the iconica violin sound to play correctly? The project I’m working on is also an older one, so it was not currently created. If I create a new violin staff and copy and paste the notes from the old staff into the new staff, would that make a difference?

Yes, the right way to do this is to create a section player rather than a single player.

You can’t convert a single player into a section player, but what you can do is add a new empty-handed section player, then drag the violin instrument from the old single player to the new section player.

1 Like

When working with xml imports, it would actually be very convenient to be able to convert solo players into section players in one click. This morning I spent ten minutes only to do that and change instruments to what they already seemed to be (but weren’t really) on Beethoven 7th… And I know all the tricks to go fast :person_shrugging:
No condensing involved. So I know it could be even slower… Consider this a feature request :pray:

2 Likes

Are you perhaps asking for a similar mapping tool for XML to the one that exists for MIDI imports?

That would certainly remove problems like Dorico creating two pianos instead of one…

Most XML doesn’t specify the difference. You can add the relevant <ensemble/> tag in a text editor, but you have to do it beforehand.

1 Like

Ok, sure. But I still think my request stands. I know I can, but I also certainly know some friends of mine are certainly not going to even try opening such xml file in BBEdit, Sublime text or TeXShop…
Thanks for the tip though. I’m sure it will earn me some precious minutes next time I need to import such a long score.

1 Like

If you want to avoid string instruments arriving as solo, just create an orchestral project and use the merge with existing instruments where possible import option. Rather than opening an XML from scratch.

Another good idea I need to try! :pray:

Thank you so much for the information about the section player. It’s working much better now. The only thing I can’t get it to do is play Legato, even when I put Legato markings over the notes. I guess there must be some special trick to that? But everything else is working just fine.

The simplest way to trigger the legato effect is to add slurs.

Or just set up an ensemble string section and merge from there.

Let Dorico create the rest of the instruments itself.

Yes, I did add the slurs, and it still did not register in the iconica edit window as Lagato mode. It remains in the “sustain vibrato“ mode no matter what I do with the slur lines. I’ve done just about everything else that you’ve told me to. That’s the one thing that still remains a mystery. It does play all of the other articulations, however.

Can you upload a few bars of the project, so we can see how you’ve set things up?

I’ll second that. It always seems to get this wrong with XML imports and constantly having to change vln1 from solo to a section.

This was not from an import. It was a project I was working on recently, a slightly older one, but it had to be updated by the new version of Dorico.

Ok, I will do that. I have to wait till tomorrow. So sorry.

As a flow its too large of a file for the site,

so here is the of the unfinished Violin part in MIDI File.
Flowing Sketch dorico - 14_Violin - Flow 1.mid (2.3 KB)

Here is the part that will not play Legato.